or Connect

Posts by Jake Aryeh Marcus

Quote: Originally Posted by MamaSmurf29 That's really difficult. That's good that you other ladies were able to get out of it, but for me I'd probably want to do it just because it might be interesting. I'd probably pump and save up some milk in the freezer beforehand. The big problem would be getting childcare arranged - because we never use any at all - as well as not leaking all over the place!! You said there aren't always long enough breaks...
Quote: Originally Posted by jdubisar I've been curious about this too. I've been called twice now in AZ in the past 2.5 years. As an independent self-employed chiropractor, if I don't work, I don't get paid, but I have to cancel all my appts in order to show up for one day and explain that before they will excuse me. This summons, however, I am on bedrest for the remainder of my (first) pregnancy, and that will provide medical excuse, but I am likely...
Quote: Originally Posted by gatorgirl11 I'd like to know the answer to this one. I was called for duty when my first baby was only a few days old. California allows breastfeeding moms or sole/primary caregivers to get a postponement. My name went back into the pile, but it's been 6 years since then and I haven't heard from them still. You ask what might happen if you show up to court with your kids in tow. It is very upsetting to me how...
Okay, for starters, you may receive a jury duty summons for either state or federal court and your options are different depending on which court has called you. Some states have only one federal court but some have two. Ohio, where I gave a session on this issue in April, has three courts that may summon you: Ohio state court, the Southern District of Ohio and the Northern District of Ohio. Very few states and no federal courts have exemptions from jury duty on the...
I'm here! Sorry it was quiet and I went into a meeting. I'll get to answering the questions below now. Jake Quote: Originally Posted by Melanie Mayo Hello MDCers - in response to questions concerning breastfeeding and jury duty, Mothering Politics Editor Jake Aryeh Marcus, J.D., will answer your questions about jury duty, mothering and making these laws more parenting friendly. Jake will be answering questions in this thread starting Tuesday,...