or Connect

Posts by Polarbearfish

There's this great book that I heard about called The Wonder Weeks, which describes the sleep regressions in infancy and gives you reasons for them. Sounds like your little guys is at the 55 week regression described here:   http://www.thewonderweeks.com/mental-leap-8/   I think this website is really helpful because it puts it all into perspective. My 6.5 year was a TERRIBLE sleeper for the first 2.5 years and this information somehow kept me sane. I bet this...
Thanks for the kind words. Somehow hearing it from a mama with 4 kids makes it seem much less stressful. :-)  
Hi there,   I'm 20 weeks pregnant with twins and a little worried about what is going to happen after they are born. Our plan was to sidecar two cribs to the bed and to cosleep so that I can easily breastfeed and settle them back in to sleep. Last December my 6 year old starting wanting to sleep in bed with us again after a few years of sleeping on his own. He seemed to really need it and we have a giant california king bed so we let him sleep with us. For the past...
Hi there, I've been lurking for a LONG while on this board while we are still in the process of deciding whether we want to foster to adopt. We are in Alameda County in Oakland, California.   My biggest question has always been what do people do if both parents work full time? Our son is now about to start Kindergarten and we have the idea that we would foster adopt a child younger than him. But...how do people have childcare ready to start when a child is placed...
I don't have any advice as I'm in the very beginning of the process myself. I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss.
Here's my experience: Got married at age 30, thought I would get pregnant right away. After a year, I went to the doctor and found out that I had what they call "diminished ovarian reserve" or high fsh. I was 31 at that point, and am the product of a long line of women who haven't had any fertility issues, so I was shocked. I was very innocent about fertility and how much it varies among women. Here on this board it is so lovely to see all of the stories of women who...
Quote: Originally Posted by RedOakMomma One can say "well, adults are adults and should be responsible for their choices"...and that's true, for the most part...but I have a hard time judging someone harshly when they've never (or rarely) had a good role model, a consistent home, or lived a portion of their life without fear of violence, sexual abuse, etc. It's awfully hard to grow up to be responsible under those circumstances. I totally agree.
This is all very informative. Our friends adopted a little boy out of foster care (but didn't foster first) at 16 months. (He's doing really well, by the way ) But I haven't a clue whether or not that is atypical. The organization I contacted was pretty helpful and honest. The woman I spoke to mentioned that it might be best to go directly through county services given the age of our son. Not necessarily to foster first, but she said that younger children tend to be...
Today I spoke to someone at a local agency that deals exclusively in foster adoption. And set up a time to come in an attend an informational workshop. I'm excited and scared at the same time. The woman who worked at the agency was really great, but I didn't really know what to ask yet. Our situation is this: Me (mom), my husband and Z (our 3.5 year old boy) We're looking to adopt someone younger than Z, based on what I've read about adopting within the birth...
Hey thanks to those of you who gave the practical suggestion regarding how to deal with him asking to be fed. Last night at dinner he didn't ask to be fed, but this morning he did. I offered to take turns and he took one bite from me and then forgot to ask me to do it again. I don't know why I never thought of that!! So thanks, it's very helpful to have that advice. I also reiterated to his teacher this morning that she does not have to feed him. We never asked her or...