or Connect

Posts by sweetfiend

I struggle with this issue since my mother was soooo bossy and intrusive:  When do you say to your teen "Hey, your feet smell" or "Hey, I have a cream for that rash."  Sometimes I think that I have useful but unwanted information, you know what I mean?  And it is so difficult to figure out when that information should be shared with a young person (who is related to me) and when it would just be embarrassing and hurtful.   My mother used to say things like "Oh my...
But your instincts led you to these ideas. So in one way you did know, just with your heart instead of your mind.
I was put off by the grammatical error in the title of the first post. When I found even more errors in the first post, I lost confidence in the content. I know most people don't feel that writing style and grammatical correctness are important, but I do.
Could you be looking for the series of books by Louise Bates Ames and Frances Ilg? It is an older series called "Your One-Year Old," "Your Two-year old" and on and on. I really liked Penelope Leach's "Babyhood" but it is also old and may not cover the older toddler (I can't remember). Hope this helps.
Thank you all for your responses! I agree that third-hand information is fraught with possible misunderstanding. I just wondered if this 5 finger rule was something anyone had heard of. I liked learning some new stuff about breastfeeding (or failure). My friend has an appt. with a 2nd lactation consultant. I also told her she might want to change peds, and weirdly her current ped had just said the same thing AND recommended the same new doc (saying that he is really...
Well, I'm glad I'm not misinformed (like the lactation consultant may be). I am sooooo tired of dealing with the mounds of misinformation my poor friend has been given. She has been a victim of the medical establishment every step of her pregnancy and birth. I kind of thought things would settle down after the baby, but no. The ped's office has two scales and they are not calibrated. They weigh almost a pound different! So you can imagine how accurate the medical...
My friend has a newborn (c-section), now a month old. The baby hasn't been gaining weight as fast as the ped would like (I have no details, but the baby is alert, happy) so the ped recommended a lactation consultation. Weirdly, I thought, the consultant is is a city 25 miles away and we have many right here in town, but oh well. The consultant told my friend that she must supplement because her breasts violate the "5 finger rule" which is that if you can put 5 fingers...
How cute! And sweet that she is willing to share you!
oops
My son, an older teen, would really like a part-time, entry-level job. He is very responsible, quiet, and mature. He has a very free schedule. He has had several interviews and no bites. Today, we noticed that a place that he had an interview several weeks ago, still had their help wanted sign up. So, with my encouragement, he approached the manager to ask why she hadn't picked him. She said she thought he wasn't "outgoing enough." I am soooo grateful to her for...