or Connect

Posts by mumm

I don't have terribly strong opinions of what other families do, but for my household and my children, it wouldn't work.   Vocal minority spelled it out well, but the added factor, for me, is that *I* have trouble enforcing our already lax rules about screen time.   And if I don't see him spending hour after hour playing, then I'm less likely to put an end to it.     I think video games are different now than when I was a kid.  My shy son is interacting with peers-...
a. Who you are Sahm to 4- ages 6-13  Single income, high col area, used to living comfortably the past 8 years or so.  That is about to come to a crashing halt!   b. Where you are going (your financial goals) Become aware of where our money is going!  Only debt is our mortgage but we are coming into a very hard spell where our income is going to be reduced by 80% for several years, before recovering to our original level.     c. How you plan to get there   I first...
I've been reading this thread off and on and I've decided to track our spending.  We are a family of 6, one income, with no debt other than a mortgage.  We are planning to take on some debt starting in about 6 months for about 2 years.  My spouse is undergoing a job change and our income is being reduced by 80% for 18-24 months. It will then go up, but not to where it is now, for another 5 years or so after that.  We've planned ahead by paying off all the kids orthodontia...
Yes!  It gets easier.    and harder.   Less physical.  Slightly less constant.  Less feeling like you might ruin them at anytime because you snapped at them.  Or served a dinner of leftover lunch.  Or can't get a handle on the diaper rash.  Or they are 7 and still sleeping in your bed.  I shower regularly!   But busier.  more shuffling and juggling and making things fit in the schedule.  More servant-ish  (Maybe that is just where I am right now.  Kids are so busy...
  You can pee in a lake and the ocean.     Any where else, use a toilet!
I think staying home alone can be very empowering for a kid.  My kids start staying home alone at about 5 years old.  The first time might be when the child is thoroughly engrossed in something, it is the middle of the day and I need to be gone for 10 minutes to drive a sib some where, or even just head to a neighbors for a bit.  Then it progresses from there.  We have never had any problems.  Things have gone wrong, and they were great learning experiences.  (Kid tries to...
Thanks for all the responses.   Amberskyfire- your blog is great.  Interesting housing solution.  Hope it lasts a good long time!  We spent July and August on Oahu.  What an amazing area to live, but the cost of food!  Crazy!  We tried to find cheap housing and ended up camping, which wasn't as cheap as we'd hoped but worked out pretty well.  We thought we'd eat lots of fresh food (pineapples, lilikoi, mango, avocado, etc) but instead we ate a lot of cheerios and  lucky...
When ever I see ideas like this my first thought is HOW?  How do you establish any ongoing tradition without life getting in the way?  I get the value of rituals and we've come to have some solid (and loved) traditions- back to school smore night in september, winter solstice night walk and burning of old man winter, opening stocking gifts on a morning close to Christmas, etc but they are just once a year things.   Do you skip sports, school and family events?  Are a few...
These are great.  Usually we refer to bigger items as first world problems.  Like the fact I have 3 children in orthodontia right now (About $22K worth) and yet they could all survive to adulthood without the treatments.  Or spending boatloads of $ on tutoring when we live in a top rated school district.  Or that our children have to have top of the line uniforms for sports ($110 UA uniforms for a 6 year old to play soccer?  for real? Couldn't each team have different...
I've been out of diapers for many years now, and haven't bought diapers in over a decade so take this as a guess-   booty buns?  Baby land?  The cheap $5 ones from shop diaper?   Why does it matter?