or Connect

Posts by mumm

My thought was the humidifier itself is the cause of issue, not the moisture in the air.  We just keep water on the wood stove to keep the air moist.  On really cold days I can be putting more than a gallon of water a day into the air.  I don't know it is healthier, but our skin is less dry and we don't have such static electricity issues!  Plus I put cloves, cinnamon, orange peel, etc in the water so it smells great!
I thought it was one of the stupidest things I'd heard of.  Santa "watching" and being all knowing at a Christian holiday is just weird, and a little too god like, imo.  An elf that you manipulate daily is even worse.   This year my youngest child asked for two items for Christmas- a gumball and an elf of the shelf.  We told her no, that our house doesn't have an elf.  But after much debate we relented and "santa" brought her the elf.  (Her big bro got her a bunch of...
Anyone been to this?  Anyone going?  It's hard to figure out exactly what it is.  Also it seems pricey ($480 reg for my family, not including anything extra like meals, etc.) when we still need to pay for lodging, food, transport and extra events.     I'd love to hear stories, good and bad, especially for kids aged 6-13.  I'm not good at meeting new people and my kids aren't quick to join in activities (as in 6 year old just started speaking up at school after 4 months)....
Quesedillas with black beans and cheese Sweet potatoes with fried eggs Sweet potatoes with caramelized onions Sweet potatoes with lentils and seasoned with cumin (burrito like, minus the wrap.  Think I got a real recipe from MDC years ago) Sweet potatoes with black bean soup   I guess we eat a lot of sweet potatoes!   My kids favorite cheap meal is fried dough.  Basically bread dough cooked in oil. with lots of powdered sugar!  When I was a kid we had this most...
Every kid is different.  I only have one child left who is "co-sleeping" and he is 13.  The other 3 are younger and occasionally pop in to "the big bed" to sleep but he consistently sleeps in my room and has his own bed on the floor.  Very rarely does he actually join us in the  bed though.   He doesn't like that he still sleeps here.  He would rather be "normal" and sleep in his own room alone but it is scary for him.  We made a big deal for a while working toward a...
I just thought I should follow up on this.  We spent July and August on O'ahu and it was amazing!  We camped all but the first night, last night and two nights in the middle when our campground kicked us out bc of an impeding tropical storm.     We never had a bit of trouble!  People were like people everywhere!  Some were kind and wanted to tell us all about their area, some just ignored us.  I never felt unsafe or uncomfortable (well, I was really hot for the first few...
Well, it ends up we were wrong.  The hawk managed to get through our netting that is over the pen.  There was a section about 3 feet wide.  In the past it has gotten in through the door and then can't find it's way back out.  (The whole pen is covered with netting) It got in again since then and the pen had been closed up all day.  The poor hawk can't find its way out after it kills a chicken (or two) and ends up battering itself against the netting over and over.  I'm...
Glad they came back safe.    I have a different perspective on this.  I allow my chickens to roam and I know they don't stay on my property but wander around to the neighbors property also.  All my neighbors have dogs.  I told them upfront way back when that IF their dog kills one of my chickens it is my fault for letting them out into their yard.  Even if it happened on my property I told them not to worry.    My chickens shit in their yards.  When their dog does the...
It is fine to take toiletries from a hotel room. DP cleaned rooms at the ritz carlton in college and knows what to report as stolen and what is there for the guests to actually use.  And if you spend 5 nights a week in a hotel you get to know the staff and you can ask questions like that!  It is also okay to take the tea and coffee packs.  Not the Keurig though! Satori , you really seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this.  I think you are taking issue because I was...
You can't compare yourself to others.  She may have 6 kids and a nanny  who is prepping meals, a house cleaner, a spouse who is home frequently, etc.I don't work and yet I still struggle with getting it all done.  I'm in a classroom once per week for 3.5 hours, I do lunch and recess 3X/month, volunteer photocopy 3X/week and don't do any fundraising.  I try to do all field trips but don't often volunteer for special events which can get very labor intensive and I'm bad at...