or Connect

Posts by mumm

I agree.  Very sweet thing to do. I once paid for the woman in line behind me at a thrift store.  The lines were long because the woman two people in front of me was arguing something from a return.  Then the woman in front of my was short about 3 cents and looking in her purse and it took a while.  I didn't have any cash with me so I couldn't help her. However the woman behind me was buying a hideous lamp and just kept her mouth running about people not planning ahead,...
frozen- one boy and one girl (singletons) IVF- two girls (twins)   This donor is about 50/50.
 Rainbow Asylum-  This is a horror story- NOT how 99% live.  Losing a job because you miss work because you didn't have gas money?  That is how a small population may live, but not 99%.  And even if it were that doesn't mean it is okay.  DP may bring home the toiletries and half used rolls of TP from her 4 nights a week in a hotel but I hope my kids can always feel free to use the toilet paper as needed. I'm surprised by how wealthy I'm being made out to be!  My kids...
I'm listening to all the replies because I think planning ahead and being thoughtful can keep us out of trouble.  Clearly I don't ever want to be in Satori's position of not having a job because I can't afford to get there.  We plan by buying long term disability, life insurance, etc.   We've lived frugally to get where we are, and we still live frugally.  Even if we lose up to 14% of the 401k due to fees and taxes it is better than borrowing on the house.  And it...
 Thanks for the help and understanding!   I am privileged but not in the way you tried to insult me with the word. Life is what you make it.  I don't think most people would consider being dumped and then raised in numerous crappy foster homes as privileged.  I worked full time while going to a state college on a scholarship.  We worked our tails off to pay off college debt before grad school.  Finished grad school without owing a penny.  We never ever took on debt without...
I often saw the threads about "what do we call ourselves" and thought they were kinds silly.  I always thought "just pick a name and go with it. Not everything has to have 12 layers of meaning.  Mom, mama, mommy, whatever and move on."  But my 13 year old son doesn't know what to call us at school.  At home we are mommy and mama.  But what 13 year old calls his mother "mommy" in front of his friends.  We assumed the names would be shortened to Mom and Ma.  But Ma sounds...
No idea what that is.  Off to check it out!  Thank you.We just refi the house.We'd been quoted a 7-17% penalty for early withdrawal but have calls in to figure out exactly. EDIT- Never heard of the abbr.  Yes.  We've looked.  Typically 2.49/3.25apr.  Not sure it is worth it.
Moving is not an option.  Isn't going to happen.  DP could be, in the future, based just about anywhere in the us.  We are in MA, she's been based in MA, TX, NY, IL and FL in the past 10 years.   DP is going to be gone from the house at a minimum at least 4.5 days per week.  We are used to her sleeping at home two nights a week.   I have less than 4 hours per day when the kids are in school.  Kids are 6-13.  Oldest is smart and kind and competent but has OCD.  Depending on...
$25K for a family of 6 puts us far below the poverty level.  Our current income qualifies us for low income housing, so for where we live it isn't much.  The area's COL must be considered. Selling my house would be stupid.  Then I'd need to buy a new place to live and this house cost less than $200 15 years ago.  It is assessed at $600K for tax purposes now after lots of work.  We remortgaged recently and have stopped paying ahead on the mortgage like we have for the past...
commercial pilot.  Going from a commuter/feeder to the major airline.  So basically from the captain of a small plane to the first officer of a much larger plane.  All senority based so the good schedule and possibility of overtime turns into a cruddy schedule of basically sitting at the airport for 80 hours a week to cover the flight of delayed pilots, etc.   Plus the salary drop from about $120 to $25K.  (The median income in my town is currently $220k.  We qualify for...