or Connect

Posts by mumm

Do you have to cook over a fire? When back country or car camping we basically cook over a stove. A big two burner propane for car or a single white fuel for back country. We eat lots of skillet things- black beans, salsa and eggs. Quesadillas. Sauted veggies. Rice is hard to cook over uneven heat but can be done. GS is a different story because cooking for 30 is different than cooking for 6 or 7.
What is fast food?   take out pizza?  Sushi to go?  If this, we get take out pizza about once a month and I grab a sushi prepack about every other month.   Or McD, Wendy's type thing?  If this, about 3 times a year, when traveling and desperate not to spend too much $$ on a quick meal in airports, ferry terminals, etc.
With kid 1 and 2 it broke as they were being born.   With the twins it broke before ctx BUT-  I had finished 3 days of induction techniques (Pitocin and Cervidil???  I'd have to go back and see what else it was) at the hospital about 8 hours before it broke.  I have no doubt that all those drugs messed with things.  Not enough to bring on real labor, but I certainly had lots of false contractions and misery.  I'd only been home from the hospital about 6 hours before...
  Wow, the squirrels at Yosemite must have a lot of stories.  I once sat in the car (in Yosesmite) with two sleeping toddlers watching a squirrel cross in front of me with full pieces of fruit in its mouth.  First a peach.  Then a plum. Then another peach.  Finally I caught on that it was taking them from my car!  From right under one kid's feet.   I never heard it just a few inches from me!
Oh, we set up a little pup tent for playing, reading if buggy, etc.  But the sleep tent is for sleeping- no food, playing, etc.   Our camping trips are also typically 6-9 weeks long, setting up breaking down many, many times.  For my sanity I need thing to be cleanish.  9 weeks without a hot shower can intensify any gritty, sticky feeling.   We call it the play tent which has become a pet phrase in our house because it is also where us parents can "play" after...
Cleanliness matters.  To me at least, if not the kids.  Our tent space stays clean.  Once you leave in the am, you don't go back in until it is time to sleep for the night.  (or nap)    I fill a Rubbermaid bin with water in the am and place it in the sun.  By evening it has warmed up enough to bathe the kiddos in.  Relaxing for them to sit in the tub, and they get clean.  That way they are clean and I can sleep much better without a sticky toddler snuggling up to me.
  We bring our regular silverware from home.  (I guess I'm picky about what I like!)  For my family of 6, we have 8 plastic plates and 8 plastic bowls that  I  bought specifically for camping.    We've had them for about 7 years now and they are holding up fine.  We use our kleen Kanteen bottles as glasses.  However, once a jelly jar runs empty I save them and they become our glasses.  By the end of the summer we usually all have our own glass jar for drinking from!   For...
Where are you camping?  If you are not backwoods every place with bear potential will have bear boxes.  We camped the summer of 2010 along the northern coast of CA (SF to the border), into lassen volcanic, lake Tahoe, down to Yosemite and the half moon bay area.    We did get a citation in Yosemite for leaving a mini tube of toothpaste on the front of our car, in the area where your windshield wiper rests.  I think we'd driven quite a ways with it there because we'd...
Yes!   We don't go to Pride every year but when we can fit it in the schedule we do.  What could be more fun for a 2 or 3 year old than loud music (earplugs), lots of colors and costumes and balloons and dancing characters?  The highlight of pride this year for my youngest was all the friendly people with dogs.    If anything the younger kids take the nudity better than the older kids.  My almost 13 year old was disgusted by the number of saggy boobs he saw.  I...
    She thanks you for this!  (Actually, she said, "Of course I'm right!" LOL)