or Connect

Posts by mumm

You are right. But the passing of years will.
My oldest daughter is only 10 so we are not there yet, but I've been saying she can't pierce her ears until she has her period. She is a slob who doesn't really care to shower, brush teeth, etc. I figure if she can handle keeping herself clean with her period she can handle the necessary cleanliness involved with keeping ears cleaned until they heal up.
  Very big difference to me.  A juiced orange or carrot (frozen on a stick or in a glass as liquid) is not the same as soda or gatorade.  At all.     We drink seltzer and sparkling water, but not soda.  Unless we are in some place where clean water is difficult to come by, and then we drink colas.  This started when traveling and dp (who drinks coffee) needed some caffeine to keep a withdrawal headache away.  Now sometimes one of my kids will say "can we go to (insert...
Camp.   Seriously.  Pick a part of the world you want to explore and go camp.  Move to a new location every 5 or 7 days and explore that area in depth.  Depending on where you travel camping can be really cheap (like $5 a night for a whole family).  Think about weather (rain stinks when packing up and resetting up camp) and what you like to do and language barriers.  It can get $$- flights, rental cars, etc but if you are thoughtful it can be done.   We do this...
OMG!  This is me.  And I hate it.  I only have 4 kids but sometimes when we are in a store I feel like "Who are all these kids and why do they keep callimg me mom?"   My children have been told "Walk in front of the grocery cart or behind the grocery cart but not next to it" a bazillion times but we still end up like this huge mass walking down the aisle.    But I'm not willing to send my 5 year old out wandering the store for beans (or socks, or whatever) alone for your...
I've never had mine notarized and it has been fine.
Our family on Maui has really tried to direct us away from camping.  So we are looking at apt rentals and the cost seems really reasonable for a small 2 bed room in the waianae area.  Again, I keep hearing that is the "bad" area or should be kept for locals only.  We are not typical tourists in that we have no $ (fly free, typically camp) and won't eat at a restaurant more than twice in the two months we are there, and then only for lunch.  We like to meet locals and...
I think the more they know about your kid the better.  It gives them lots of points to work off of in coming to understand your child.  Your child at home is not the same person as your child at school, but if the staff (teachers, aides, admin, etc) can catch glimpses of how you see your child it can only help.    I love that our preschool does a home visit and the teacher meets the child on the child's turf for the first time.  Rather than find it invasive, I find...
I was just thinking this morning about all the anxiety I felt while pg with twins, how hard it was when they were little, and really, how much better it is now than singletons!   My twins are #3 and #4 and are now 5 years old.  At least once a day I think "This is so much easier with twins!"  They have each other and play so great together.  They spent over 8 hours yesterday at older sibling basketball and soccer games. 8 hours in the bleachers- and they played (with...
I mother confronted me.  I lied.  Around the same time my sister and I were both home from college and she asked me if I had a special guy.  I answered honestly.  She asked if I had a special girl.  I couldn't help but answer honestly!    I would wait until she is ready to talk.  She might still be figuring it all out herself, and that takes time.   And, if you feel "sick" about this and want her to have a "normal, happy life" she is probably right in not choosing...