or Connect

Posts by featherstory

For me, I'm sure it came into play when I was in high school and asking to be homeschooled.  I really just assumed that homeschooling was self-led learning, because I knew I was really good at learning things on my own and following my interests.  I felt like school was distracting me from learning!   Anyway, I wasn't allowed to home school but I did some literacy training in high school and I also took care of children in high school and college, and studied literacy...
I hear ya.  It's a fine balance.  The girls love going out, but I find that staying out too late or too long really bothers me and throws us off balance.  The bedtime and eating routines are really important for us and it makes me want to stay in to have to rearrange those things.     It's completely different for me though, when there's warmer weather.  I am much healthier in the spring/summer and my mind just works better.  I can pack snacks, lunches, make food ahead...
dd(6) and I recently found a program for learning Spanish called fluencia.  She really loved it and it helped her realize how good she is at Spanish already.  It makes her more confident to want to learn more...which is really good for her, because she's the perfectionist type who constantly says she doesn't know how to do things at all, if she doesn't do them perfectly, in her eyes.  I've also noticed because it is so visual, it's been helping her to learn to read/spell...
Wow Miranda...that sounds amazing!    Tomorrow and starting next week the girls are going to spend several days a week going to my Grandma's in the mornings and coming back at the end of the day.  My grandma has tons of encyclopedias, a great yard for gardening, lots of flowers and other plants, and great stories.  We're going to use this opportunity to put together our family tree with her help, and make it into a really nice scrapbook for her that will be done for her...
I would talk with a counselor or therapist if I were you, for the simple fact that you're saying anxiety runs in the family.  Pulling him away from you, when he is already an anxious child in the middle of a fit can make his anxiety even worse, even if he doesn't continue to show it.     For myself, although I never even showed my anxiety until I got really burned out several years after kindergarten, I was anxious every single day of every single grade, in the first few...
We've been swimming a lot and both girls have gotten really good, compared to last summer and even this past spring.  DD6 is learning to read, on her own, inspired by things like signs in the bathroom, words on games, etc.  She's also playing her piano app on the ipad often.     Both girls are learning more numbers and lots of Spanish.  They've been spending a lot of time drawing and playing with clay.  I've said the first official day of school will be her birthday in a...
We're just having a summer of sorts.  We traveled all summer and spring.  We are now swimming everyday, the girls are playing piano app and we are listening to a lot of good music together thanks to that.  There's the song Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley/Leonard Cohen, so I had the opportunity to put the song on youtube for us all to listen to.    I hear Beethoven in this house now more than I ever thought I would.   We're also doing a lot of organizing, donating, etc....
Hi Mandinka,   I definitely think you're right to not worry about her spelling.  In some ways it seems maybe she is using her knowledge of letter sounds more to see the different ways in which words "could" be spelled.  I mean...why not 3 "L"'s?  And little 'e' and little 'i' sound very similar...so why not?  I definitely wouldn't worry about it...I think spelling is just about remembering, so eventually, seeing it elsewhere, she'll get the connections on how the...
Brick and mortar schools start his upcoming Monday where I live.  I've been talking with some local unschoolers about creating a co-op where I'll be teaching about 3 classes, once a week.  I'm thinking of joining another already established co-op here.  There is also a free youth choir here I'm thinking of putting my almost 6 year old in.   I'm going to sign her up for an umbrella unschool organization...don't have to do it until Sept. though.  I was considering...
For me, I pay attention to how many calories the kids have eaten throughout the day and their activity level so I usually know if they are really hungry.   Since we eat a mostly raw vegan diet and other than that we eat all whole foods, I can eyeball their calorie intake really easily, or sometimes I prepare their meals and plates based on how many calories they should or normally eat for each meal.   I also make sure they've had plenty of exercise so I know they...