or Connect

Posts by featherstory

hahahaha   This is great...how to word this? hmm...I'm afraid my educational-ese is seriously lacking, but I'd love to see someone come up with the diagnosis. 
My almost 6y.o. is like this too and has been for a couple years.  She likes to put paper in bottles, fold napkins and tissue up in weird ways and wrap it around things...luckily she's not doing anything dangerous or inappropriate like putting things into our food or drinks, so I don't know what I'd do if she did.     I find that blankets, scarves, clothing and paper are her favorite tools for sure.  Also crayons and pencils...and they are not used as crayons or...
Yesterday we discovered that there's a million apps we can add to the chromebook we have...so we added everything we could, that was at all relevant to our ability.  We saw 3D anatomy and 3D solar system.  My oldest dd5 has also played games on Spanish and discovery kids...and reviewed some sight words...unintentionally on the games.  She realized she DOES know how to read/spell some words...like Go, no, stop, etc.     We tried to sign up for the free version of...
IF I could say I used a curriculum, I'd say I also used Starfall for pre-k through kindergarten and will use it again for first grade very likely.  My kids love it and it is full of different types of exercises and learning...and I used the free version, so not an actual curriculum, but very easily set up with differing levels of activities to move towards and it was very easy for me to see and know the progress and where my kids were.  
Unfortunately I can't right now, it's not open currently, but when it is open, I will share it.  
I think one that is important to note is to not focus your volunteer efforts on anonymous or even supposed "personal accounts" of sponsorship.     A lot of the organizations that aim to "help" people in need are diligently destroying these people's way of life, in order to make things more civilized or capitalistic or whatever way it serves the needs of the other outside society going in to "help".     Try not to paint a picture of naivete in which you think...
It has been a super busy summer here!  We've been traveling quite a bit, but we are basically settled now for several months more.  We did some off-grid camp living and visited some veteran unschoolers, we went to a really cool natural spring and now we have a new kid added to the mix, a kid I take care of.  We've spent a ton of time in the libraries and read lots of books this summer.  My oldest dd has developed or redeveloped a very bad bug phobia...like a "I can't use...
We found a very cool spot in N. Florida.  We don't have an RV right now, but we plan to get there not long after we get there.  If anyone is going that way, it would be great to "rideshare".     We are in South Carolina now, but if you are closer to FL than we are we could try to get closer.  We ARE 4 people.  2 kids, 2 adults.  We're all pretty small for kids and adults though.  We're going to tent camp for a month near Tallahassee... you all might be interested in...
I see a lot has gone on since I last checked in. Just wanted to say that our own land to plant on hasn't stopped us from pursuing her plan, it just hasn't enabled us to actually grow enough to feed people.  We are learning about permaculture though, which is great because it was something I was interested in and worked on before I had kids, but was totally a self-led topic by dd5.   I also have a website that I'm working on, because she wants to get other kids...
Yes! I can relate to this completely and I was just trying to figure out how to articulate this issue. OP...please don't try to get him out of his sensitive personality.     I was like this as a child too and my family thought it was appropriate to "toughen me up" and tell me I was "too sensitive" all the time.  It meant I stopped asking questions, stopped trusting my family and started feeling like I was alone.     I think if you could help him or allow him to...