or Connect

Posts by featherstory

I kind of disagree with the "he is an adult" philosophy.  Yes he is old enough to do some adult things but his brain is still developing and with an issue like ADHD or possibly bipolar disorder or something in between I would say he still needs adult supervision.   I understand how difficult it must be to give him enough space and still have some responsibility for him.  I feel that when I look back on my early teens and early twenties myself and so many of my...
We had an awesome week until about late Friday night...I worked with the girls a lot and worked on work a lot and completely burned myself out.  I was sore everywhere, had a migraine, couldn't sleep, menstruation, really needed to do more work but physically couldn't.  So Saturday and Sunday were spent with the kids mostly entertaining themselves and watching TV and I maintained by feeding them and putting them to bed at a decent time.    On Friday dd5 learned how to...
Actually I think it's a good point...it would have made more since if it wasn't in English and I have to say that if you're surrounded by people who speak Amharic, knowing some English is probably not going to help you get out of your country full of people who speak Amharic...not to mention the fact that perhaps they would prefer to stay in their tribal village.     I also find it difficult to believe that they have never seen a written word...and I have to think...
It's not too difficult here.  Kids have to attend by their 6th birthday equivalent to 180 days of school per year.  There is supposed to be at least 4.5 hours a day of "school".  Parents are required to record attendance, and send it in each year and send in a progress report every year and save the report for 3 years.  They are also supposed to take a standardized test every 3 years after 3rd grade, but the results are kept by the parent.     This is Georgia.  There...
We miss you too and I totally feel you.  I love it when I wake-up before the kids.  If my oldest wakes up early it is usually not a good thing.  Sometimes she'll wake up early because she's so excited to go see my mom before she goes to work, or see the kids in the neighborhood although they are at school or going to school.     I always feel guilty because I think "I should have set up their table with stuff for them to play with while I lounge and slowly wake-up",...
I love this thread and I just love you guys!  So much inspiration and learning here.  I can relate to so much that has been stated in this thread especially from mamarhu.   What I'm currently learning (the most) is: 1. Spanish(I've been *not quite fluent for far too many years (over 10) I'm really planning to become completely fluent in less than a year) 2. Parapsychology & Intuition (another thing I've been almost fluent in for several years) 3. Literacy...
I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough time and you definitely deserve time and acceptance of your grieving process.     I don't know where you live but if your disability is not too debilitating there may be some way you can use some of your experiences/skills to either make some money or barter/trade for things you need or take in/mentor an older teen or young adult who may be homeschooling or independent and that person could help you, while you help them learn...
Today the kids did connect the dots books(they have identical books) first thing this morning.   They had a green smoothie for breakfast and afterwards we read, played a game and did some roleplaying in Spanish...this went really well.   Then we played a disney matching card game.     Afterwards there was a lot of imaginative play and daily stuff.  DD5 made puppets out of Halloween candy wrappers and lolly sticks(they don't eat the candy, but open them up for...
It seems to me a good idea would be for the class to write stories about characters.  To introduce their characters to the class and then to put them away until a designated "imaginative play" time.    So whenever the kids are having imaginative playtime they could talk about or with their characters and I would imagine your daughter wouldn't be the only one who has an imaginary friend so it might be a welcome project for many of the kids.  If there is a way to introduce...
As stated my 5 year old basically keeps herself awake by pulling, twisting and playing in her hair all night long.  I'm thinking of getting her a sleeping cap, if those still exist, because it is something that is pretty unconscious.  I ask her to leave her hair alone and several times she won't even realize she's playing in it.   She is literally pulling her hair out and I really think it is also keeping her from sleeping.  She has always been a sleep fighter in...