or Connect

Posts by featherstory

I prefer paper books, but I understand what you mean about not enjoying reading books...I only read books to them that I actually like, which can be difficult to find books...I also read poetry to them, which is much easier, and test out my own poetry/stories.     We also have a Spanish book that we read stories from every night, mostly in Spanish, with a little English translation.  I really like to see how they relate to the words and how to read to entertain them...
Well, you don't have to take my advice, as I'm not even with my kids' father anymore...but this is what we did...   We had the bedroom and the living room set-up for sleepy times, most nights.  Wherever and whenever the kids went to sleep we would then go to the other room to "get it on".  If they wake up...get on the floor, tell them you're right there you just need to meditate for awhile...tell them to go back to sleep and you'll get back in bed with them...
Definitely not too information.  I like seeing how things work for other families, similarities and differences.  I have definitely thought that since my daughter is officially school age I should be amping up the learning...turns out I am not as unschooly as I thought...I have learned a lot in the past week(s) about learning together and deschooling... although I've been an unschooling advocate since before I had children and "studied" literacy and learning in...
Where do you find Bill Nye episodes?  That sounds great!  I used to love that show as a kid.  
Well, my 5 year old loves to write...but it is often random sheets of paper that are then drawn, painted over, torn into pieces and made into dolls or pretend food or other things...and then thrown away.   She has expressed the want to journal, make charts, etc.  so it is not exactly that I am wanting her to do it the way I want it to be...just that these are things she has already expressed interest in, I just see how it would be great to use journals for these...
Yeah I remember you considering that bus...   I have regrets as well...that I left my RVs behind when I moved.    Now it is almost a year later and I am still looking for an RV, while my old RV is sitting in storage unused, and the other one was towed...  I loved the trailer we had and had gotten so committed to the idea of optimizing it and organizing and decorating it and getting something to tow it with.
Hey...I got my daughter a personalized journal, with a picture of her and myself when she was a baby on the inside, and a passage I wrote.  I think it would be a great idea to get one for her every year.   Anyway, I got it from minted.com and it is graph paper on the inside.  I thought it would be cool to be able to let her draw in it, as well as post pictures/found objects, make mini-collages, and write.   I want her to be able to look back at it years from now...
Great point mamakitsune.   I "homeschooled" my preschooler for 2 years... we learned some of the things learned in preschool and kindergarten, at her pace, but I also knew how much kids need to learn things over time, from multiple experiences and had to grapple with the need for it to look impressive. I have worked with kids most of my life before having kids and I was considered to be a very smart kid myself.   But I see what my daughter is learning and other...
Ohh...I wish I'd seen this earlier.    I think it depends on the age of your kids...and of course where you are locally...but art walks, centralized parks, public libraries can also be good places to busk, or if there is any kind of outdoor festivals or events...or even indoor festivals.   You could also go to local coffeeshops and ask if you can play in front of their location or even inside, and you can also ask bookstores, salons/spas(they have to be a certain...
Hey, I'm interested in talking with you more about it.   I have had some plans to start something somewhat similar though not on such a grand-scale...perhaps with a membership, yet a loose set of requirements to do everything that is coming up this could be doable...or if there was some way that the kids not only learn about the world, they use that which they've learned to fundraise for the trips, it would be even more possible?