or Connect

Posts by gummibears

I do agree that any therapy would be done outside the school. Not so sure I'd tell the school about it, though. Maybe after the fact if I needed to 'prove a point' but I'd prefer them to be as in the dark as possible just because I don't know what they are doing behind our backs.  
Thank you for your viewpoint. I'm wondering how much it's a thought and how much it's anxiety for him. He goes for a while okay saying "I know this is ok because you said it was and I trust you." to having an episode (for lack of a better word) where it's out of control (meaning he's giving in to the fears in some way - even if it's covering his food because he drove by a fence with chipping paint with the car windows closed)   I'll have to do some looking into the...
Sounds like you have a good school. I've found that 2/3 schools he's been to are bad. This other one I've not determined if they are bad/good but I'm not really impressed by what I've seen either as a whole. He's been there 3 months and they were pushing even before this (when he was behaving for part of that early time and sporadically through the 3 months) to label him. By state-issued documents used to diagnose the disorder they are to wait SIX months to diagnose it....
Thanks for the advice and tips. Yes, I, too have heard of kids as small as 5 being on those meds. Terrifies me and they aren't even my kids. I've also read about those same meds causing other kids that age and older to have heart failure. Not something I'm willing to risk as my son is small and not at all 'husky' it'd likely pack a bigger punch, so to speak, on his body as a result. (And render him underweight as they have no desire to eat on them)   Perhaps the school...
Shami thank you for replying. This is kinda what I was looking for a place to start, anyway. Diet has long been considered as a trigger, but I hadn't considered dyes to look into.   I will start a log, as I've not seen too much variations between diet so far (well, breakfasts, anyway) as he pretty much has the same thing daily and he's not always having issues. However, lunches and dinners do vary as does the weather and his restfulness.   I'm hoping to hold them off, and...
Not too bad Samstress. I was pretty much right on the date and got the gender but the length and weight were off, LOL. I went too high on both go figure. xD   I edited my first post but will post below as it's easier to find, I spose?  
I'm looking for suggestions to get an idea what possible treatments are out there aside from medicine, which the schools seem to hand out like candy. My son has said he doesn't want it either, so it's not just us. We all agree that the side effects are too severe.   How severe is his possible OCD? I don't know? Depending on the day it's mild to moderate... maybe even more than moderate on the worser days. But it's hard to really say as I don't know the scale of how bad it...
Yes, I had considered going outside of the school to do this. I don't trust the school at all and don't want him to be labeled for his duration there for good reason. They seem to just want to label him all the time (since kindergarten we've fought this.) Yes, I want to get him help, but can't it be done without grouping him outside of his peers? Apparently to them, it can't and that just seems plain unfair.   Well, in terms of the antidepressants I know from 2 people...
Oh I've never heard of that. I do have nursing tea here that I haven't drank (and probably should) I just pumped 20 mins or so and only have oh, about a bit more than an ounce to show for it. Yikes! I'd be tempted to just pump only because my daughter is not keen on taking more than the nipple in her mouth (it's a rather large nipple, that may be why) but it's so slow! I need to up my water intake and get on that tea and check out the fenugreek I think. :) Thanks for the...
We (both my husband and I and some family) feel special ed is not the answer, but rather that these labels will make MORE issues where kids will pick on him and he'll feel he's not a good kid or 'normal' because he's been separated into a group outside of that of his peers. We are not looking to create more problems in the least. Same for the medications that have MANY unsavory side effects we are not willing or able to have him subjected to. He's only 8 and he's very...