or Connect

Posts by Gucci&Granola

For me, the key is having a routine.  I get up when my DH does for work and shower, get dressed, and put on makeup.  Nothing takes a ton of time (quick shower, air dry my curly hair, makeup takes 1-2 minutes tops) but feel so much better.  Knowing that I am presentable to leave the house or answer the door throughout the day is a huge boost.  I also find that I'm more productive overall when I get ready for my day.   Maybe figure out a couple of things (a new dress...
@ Angelorum:   I LOVE LOVE LOVE those little socks.  Too cute.  My knitting skills are limited to scarves (or anything with four squared corners, ha!) but I really admire how beautifully a well executed pattern can come together.  I actually own the store bought cotton-knit version of these little shoe/socks but yours are just to die for.  Great job.
OMG, this is really really horrible.  I am sickened by the sentiment that men are somehow "caught in the middle" between mother and wife.  Cut the apron strings and grow up.  His job as your husband is to support you.  I do not blame your MIL for your current predicament, I blame your DH.  You need to have a heart to heart before it gets any worse.  Depending on his level of denial, enmeshment, codependency, and avoidance you may need to involve a counselor to help with...
I blog, but it's not strictly parenting related.  I post about what I'm up to as a homemaker (sewing, cooking, crafting, organizing, gardening etc...).  I have a lot of blogs that I read when I have time (the links can be found on my site) but I love OhDeeDoh for kid related decor ideas and Angry Chicken for family activities, and crafts. Can't wait to check out some of yours.  Cheers!
  I can only speak for myself but let me assure you that I welcome you here with open arms.  I love hearing about other parents' journeys and I found your post interesting and touching.  I think the more you read and poke around the more you will find that this community boasts a very diverse group of parents.  Many mothers have had Cesarean sections (due to medical complications, lack of support, and even doctor bullying).  Hopefully sharing your birth story will bring...
Wow, just wow.  I am really disheartened that a thread entitled "You Know You're a Crunchy Parent When"... dissolved into ridiculous negativity.  The thread was about what YOU (as an individual) do that sets you apart from the mainstream.  It did not say "I know" or "People Know" because it was about sharing your own experience, not casting judgment on others.  The part that I find most curious and upsetting is that people got defensive BEFORE there was anything to be...
Firstly I think it's pretty common for small children to need reminders to be gentle when playing with animals.  In my own experience 5 seems a little bit old to be completely incapable of interacting with animals respectfully but if it's just an issue of getting exciting and forgetting his manners that sounds normal.  If he just needs more supervision and reminders that might be a good starting point.  Use stuffed animals or pillows to show him how to gently pet and...
I suffer from the same affliction.  Flew frequently as a child with no problems and then it became unbearable.  I have tried various drugs in past (xanax, ambien etc...) with little to show for results.  Now that I have a baby and will be nursing her on flights for the foreseeable future, drugs are out of the question.  I hear that some people have had good results with EMDR and forms of hypnosis.  Good luck to everyone and I will update if I find an effective treatment.
I'm in, how exciting to have a place/group to help stay on track of all this.   Adhere sole taps onto black ballet flats. Embroidered felted wool block for baby. Ruffled onesie for baby. Spring dress for baby. Finish tailoring grey wool jacket. Repair velvet duvet. Add casters to wooden toy bin. Paint and install library book shelf near front door. Make jam. Make applesauce. Make curtain for nursery closet. Make high...
"But, it also means that the whole "everyone has the same rights" thing is a red herring in many ways. The situations aren't the same." StormBride   I agree with you here.  We do not all have the same rights and I am not parenting in a democracy (wink).  My husband may not tell me that I have to eat vegetables, give me a timeout, or ground me.  My example of spousal abuse in countries where women are considered second class citizens was directly aimed at the...