or Connect

Posts by gambel

Many people--of any age--respond very differently to yogurt than to any other dairy product because of the fermentation process. So that is great news about your daughter, but might not mean that she has no dairy sensitivity in other forms. From what I understand, in general yogurt is not a reliable test of a dairy sensitivity. Many people (including my 13 month old son, as of 6weeks ago) can eat yogurt fine but still has symptoms with other dairy--though I can now eat...
I agree that you have to be very hardcore for at least two weeks to verify that what you are eliminating is indeed the culprit. That was adequate for us in determining dairy and then eggs were a problem  for DS. At 3.5 weeks, I would continue to be very diligent because you want to avoid irritating his little digestive tract as much as possible. Once my son was older (7-8 months), I could gradually be a little more careless about hidden dairy without noticeable effect...
That sounds like heavy letdown to me, more so than reflux; usually reflux has back arching during or after nursing. If you are hearing wet burps that sound like baby spit up but nothing comes out, that is telltale reflux.   I had a pretty similar situation with my son, but it turned out to be both reflux (from a dairy sensitivity, so I went off dairy) and heavy letdown.    The heavy letdown can cause a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance (as you know) and that is often...
I nursed my son upright in a Moby for several months. I just had him in the cradle position facing in and I guess I had to practice tying it a few times to get him at the right level. I am not sure what age Ellie is but you could try her legs in a different position--if she is old enough for them to be out that might position her differently than if they are usually tucked in, for example. She doesn't look that young in your pic though! :-)   I also used a Lillebaby,...
I put my son in the Moby straight up, not sideways as in a sling. I think I just had to practice a couple of times to figure out how loose/tight to make it so his head was at nipple level (which changed a little as he got bigger and after I started putting his legs out, rather than tucked under him), but that was how I always wore him and was able to just nurse on cue.
My son also had reflux and much preferred being upright (and was always facing in at that age), not sideways in a sling. I used the Moby facing in but with his legs out from a very young age (since he had hip dysplasia and I was told not to constrain his hips---and I wore him for many hours a day.) But I *agree* that frog legs may not help his reflux.   I also still constantly use what I have found to be extremely versatile, the...
I had a much more positive experience with a hospital birth than I had expected. I had struggled and dealt with a lot of grief about going to the birthing center at our hospital because my son was breech and would not flip back over in spite of my greatest efforts. Breech HB is not an option where I live--not sure if there are midwives who will attend a breech birth, but not here. And UC was not something I was comfortable with. For me, it was hard to not become focused...
I think that some moderation is helpful because, while all members are theoretically adults who should be able to have supportive, constructive discussions, it is clear that some members are not holding themselves to those standards, thus creating a non-supportive, sometimes hostile environment. There are apparently many members on MDC whose purpose is to be inflammatory rather than contributing to a supportive, problem solving environment (see above).   However, I...
I think that an allergist may be helpful, but there are other types of practitioners who may also be able to shed light on your challenges. Have you considered talking to someone who works with a non-clinical approach?   My son developed reflux at 6-8 weeks, with some projectile vomiting. Our ped suggested I eliminate all dairy and soy, which I did. Things got much better, but not completely. Our ped has a osteopath visit the office once a month; he does some pretty...
That is a really poor medical explanation for any procedure, in my opinion. There are many possible reasons for that tragedy, and based on what I have read and learned from my midwives, is likely not the result of a responsibly performed version or of the version at all. I just scheduled a version for next week, when I will be right at 37 weeks. I have also been doing chiro, acupuncture and moxibustion, all the positions, etc. The protocol here is definitely not to...