or Connect

Posts by 3littlelambs

Oh! so sorry to hear you are so UNsupported by your family! That is tough. Do you feel like you have things to respond to them with? I'm reading this awesome book right now--Family Matters: why homeschooling makes sense and it is so excellent at countering the common objections to HSing, plus ones I've never even heard. So balanced and well written. Check it out if you need some confidence building!
I have purposely told my mom b/c I know she would have concerns and if I left it to the last min. she would really be shocked. That's how most of my major choices have affected her, lol. So, I've learned to prepare her. Both DH and I have had several major conversations w/ her about it and our reasons and she still kinda doesn't think it will be for real-beyond K at least. She's supportive, but I don't think fully "gets it." She still makes comments all the time like,...
My DD won't be 5 until November, so if she were in school, she'd be in Pre-K, but she is reading, interested in writing and does skip counting on her own, so I suppose she is already at the "K" level if she were tested. I am planning a very relaxed year as I've got a 3 yo boy as well who won't be going to preschool. We will have a mix of "pre-K/Kindy" moving into more of the Kindy kinds of things in the 2nd half of the year b/c I need to wait until after tax time to buy...
I never really considered this b/c of the perceived lack of freedom in choosing my own curriculum, inability to work at my kids' own pace/around their interests and the time requirement set up by the state. I stress "perceived" b/c I really don't know what it entails or how demanding the requirements may actually be.   The other day though I saw the curriculum my friend got for her son who is doing K-12 and though it wasn't my first choice it wasn't bad. They gave her...
I found the book, and as I read the review, it sounds a lot like The well adjusted child: the social benefits of homeschooling. Has anyone read both of these and can tell me if the former one is much different and worth getting as well?...
Someone suggested a great book on here a little while ago, and for the life of me I can't remember the title, but I remember wanting to read it. It had something to do with how HSing benefits the family. I think "family" was somewhere in the title, and I think the cover had some trees in it, or something like a nature trail look to it w/ a family walking on it. The details are fuzzy, but I'd love to know the title if anyone can help me out!! tia
though this is a "book" we have been using the Handwriting w/o tears Pre-K book with magnetic blocks/letter cards and magnetic pen. I like the book a lot b/c it's mostly just coloring fun pictures (and there is also a cd with songs that goes along)-optional- and so it's more fun than "instructive" though they are learning the skills and how to write the upper case. I pull it out when my DD (4.5) asks for it. "How do I write a ....?" and I say, let's look at your book....
http://www.abcjesuslovesme.com/2-year-old-curriculum   you can skip the bible parts if you are not religious. has a great book list and lots of fun crafts!
I think this IS true of HSers. My DH was HS'd his entire education (save university) and he often remarks when he meets a person with a lot of individuality or rather a strong sense of himself/herself, "I wonder if he was HS'd?" and he'll often point out people whom he knows were HS'd and how he attributes that to their uniqueness. I think it's b/c they didn't have the "follow the herd" mentality that PS teaches and were able to develop in their own sense of self with...
really enjoying this thread. thank you all for your thoughts and insights!