or Connect

Posts by 3littlelambs

ditto! I'm in a similar boat. I have a 4, 3 and 1 yo. Though I don't feel any pressure to do academics with my 4yo, I often feel guilty b/c since the baby dropped his am nap, I don't do nearly as much reading/craft time stuff with my preschoolers as I used to when we had our alone time during his morning nap. And now since I am so tired from night wakings (still) I lay down myself during the afternoon nap when my oldest is having a bit of quiet time herself. I am so...
One of the things I like about starfall's phonics is the songs. Even if your son isn't interested in it, you could use it as a guide for yourself to just use it when things come up....like for example with my DD, when she sees a silent e word, I'll sing the little jingle as we sound the word out together. It will give you a list of the basic beginner phonics rules. when you come up to a word that doesn't follow the rule, as you most certainly will! you can just...
What's been your experience with having family members who don't "get" HSing or question your choice to HS your kids?    My mom, while overall being very supportive of our family choices, doesn't "get it" and even though I've explained many times our plan to HS (I have preschoolers now) she will still say things like, "well in a few years they'll all be off to school, and you'll have a break." Then I'll remind her about HSing, and she'll say, "well, maybe in time...
thanks for sharing!
I asked my DH this question b/c he was HS'd his whole life. "Where there things you felt like you missed out on, or how did your mom play up HSing?"   He said his mom didn't really do anything to play up HSing, and He said yes there were times when he was really wanting to "ride the bus" or have a locker, or eat school food (can't imagine why!) but said he also really appreciated the things about HSing that he got to do that he wouldn't in "school."  I think kids...
Our experience is the same as the previous 2 posters--intentionally kept the kids out of Preschool/daycare and when talk of school does come up try and explain honestly what going to school vs. staying home would be like. I have a 3 and 4 yr old and even little things like cartoons or toys and games marketed to kids do hype up "going to school" so they encounter it a bit. But, we know lots of other homeschoolers a bit older, and I always try and point them out to my 4yr...
this is completely me too. I am goal oriented by nature and a former teacher, so I have it in me to want to get things accomplished with my kids--though I have to remind myself over and over, they are only 3 and 4! and it is very frustrating when you come up with this wonderful craft or something, and they are totally not interested or want to do something completely different with it. I have to ask myself a lot--is it really them who need the structure, or me? and then...
http://www.diaperswappers.com/  
me too
What about having a quiet time in their own rooms to play, look at books, do whatever while you put the baby down/rest yourself?   I have a 4, 3 and 1 year old, and I love my naps too! I'm a pretty good napper, so I've always tried to catch a nap during the day when the kids are sleeping, and I can totally relate to your desire to do so b/c you're not getting a good night's rest. My 3 yr old and 1 yr old still nap but the 4 yo will only occasionally. She is really...