or Connect

Posts by 3littlelambs

While I don't have personal experience in this situation, the first thing that came to mind as I read your post is that your son is going through a major change in his life and there is going to be this period of transition that will be a little weird for him, but that is is totally normal and expected for him to have some confusing feelings about it. Even good changes can be hard and strange for us. I think it's great he's talking to you about his thoughts. I would just...
I'm planning on getting a Diva cup and wondering how I need to clean it. Do I need to buy that special Diva Cup cleaning wash?
I also really loved this one on socialization. It alleviated all my doubts about the dreaded socialization debate and gave me a whole new paradigm shift that HSers don't survive socially *in spite of* HSing, but can actually become better socialized b/c of it. Great book! http://www.amazon.com/Well-Adjusted-Child-Social-Benefits-Homeschooling/dp/1600651070/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329333691&sr=8-1
My 4yo learned the letter sounds from starfall.com and then once she was able to begin sounding out CVC words, we started with Bob books. She loves them too. I just ordered Happy Phonics which I've read great reviews on. It is basically a lot of games which teach the phonics rules. I wanted to build on the Bob books and feel she is just too young to sit for any length of time and use a workbook, so I thought this would be a good fit. She also loves the leapfrog phonics...
is she in preschool now? how much "outside the home" socialization is she getting now?   I'd say since she has no interest in going to K at school, that's a good sign that she will be happy at home with you doing what you are already doing now, just continuing along. The times I've heard that really extroverted children complain about having to HS is when they went to preschool and then they start doing homeschool, so they miss all the friends at school.    Since...
I'm planning on using Sonlight P4/5 for my oldest's K year. I might add math Horizons K, but I am not sure b/c I want to hold off on workbooks until maybe 1st grade. I have looked at the Family Math books and might use that and Games for Math by Peggy Kaye to keep math fun. There is also an LA program with Sonlight you can add on with readers. I like Explode the Code, but again, just going to see if she is ready for the workbooks and if she can write her letters at that...
LOL...same here. I can't really get away with much "alone time" honestly :) I like the word "available." I think that sums up the idea really well....even if I'm busy doing something, I can always put it aside.  I too don't try and do anything really time intensive during the day. I also requested the Hold onto your kids book from my library--looking forward to reading it. 
thanks for the rec! will check it out  
does the parent need to be involved in the play? ( I know some at least is important :) but when my kids are playing together for hours on end (though I'm delighted to see it) I often feel like a bad mother b/c I'm doing other things like cleaning, internet, with the baby....etc... and not engaging with them. any thoughts on this?? I do have regular "connecting times" each day with them....reading, crafting, nap, meals...but there are A LOT of hours in our day!!
thanks for this article! I esp. like the part about how parents need to be the main influence and not peers--one of the top reasons DH and I feel so strongly about HSing.   I have 2 preschoolers and b/c I am quite a goal-oriented person, I really struggle with having a checklist of sorts of activities to do with them each week...b/c they love to be read to, craft, play games, etc... but also to give me some sense of structure being a SAHM. Often I feel myself...