or Connect

Posts by 3littlelambs

do they all include handwriting practice?    I'm confused b/c my DD (4) is reading 3 letter words (CVC) and is ready for the next step. We are reading BOB books, and I'm looking for some wkbks to reinforce the phonics rules, yet her handwriting is far below where I think she would start in the ETC books. She'd be in the primers for handwriting and the regular ETC for phonics I'm thinking. Also, I already have another handwriting program, so I am not really looking...
thanks for this tip! I have been looking at Sonlight a lot, and I think it would be a great fit but am a little concerned about the price. ouch! seems a bit much esp. later on down the road. And lava mama, I may be pm'ing you once I figure out what we would need. I think we'd be starting with P 4/5 but possibly using some of the other subjects K level. Can I ask Sonlight users your thoughts on Handwriting w/o tears, Singapore Math and Sonlight's LA program?   
thank you for all your replies and viewpoints...I think this is all what I am really after.  right now I am trying to learn all I can about HSing, and it is often more about the paradigm shift from a "schooled" mindset to the one of having the freedom to determine what my kids' education will be about based on our family values, their interests, etc...Maybe what I am looking for is someone to tell me it's OK to not followed a prescribed list of do's and don'ts...or to...
thanks for your input. maybe this is just an opinion, or rather HSing philosophy, but I've heard a lot of people say things like for preschool and K, kids don't need academics...but should really be free to play and the best thing to do is read lots, follow their lead in what their interested in, provide crafts, stuff like that....but then I wonder about the state "standards" or what they would be covering in PS--like what about music, art, PE, science objectives also?...
What did you use/are using for Kindy year?  My DD will be nearly 6 at that point and have a little brother who is 5 tagging along. We are Christians, so a curriculum with Bible would be great, but not necessary.    Thanks for any suggestions! 
We are planning on doing Sonlight as well. I've got a 4yo and a 2yo so I'm trying to hold off until they can both do P4/5 together (planning on it for my oldest's Kindy year). I've seen a little of the P3/4 guide and basically it just says...."read such and such book..." I think the P4/5 has more activities and the yahoo sonlight groups guide that someone else mentioned looks really good too. I think I will end up using that one once we are ready for P4/5. Right now we...
Can't give feedback regarding Intown, but I know what you are saying..I did go to ISIS as well. Had my 3rd up at North Fulton with Kay/Janet earlier this year. I would say....what do you feel stronger about--the confidence you have in the provider/hospital or the convenience of your prenatal care? For me it has been about the provider, but after my last birth (which went quite fast) I might be willing to birth at a closer place knowing that I will go faster and that I...
we've also used starfalll a lot and the reading games on pbs.org. bob books as well: http://www.bobbooks.com/
Well, we read How to make an Apple Pie and see the world...which I think is actually from FIAR, did some lapbooking and went to pick apples at what we thought was an orchard. Woops! found out we were only at a country store and pumpkin patch. Oh well....still bought some apples and made an apple pie, from scratch :)
Hi Tracy,  I'm Kim. I have an almost 4 yo, 2.5 yo and 8 mo old, and we are also doing BFIAR. Last year we just read the books, and this year we have begun doing some lapbooks and/or searching the internet for coloring sheets that go along with the stories. My preschoolers mostly love coloring and cutting right now, so we do a lot of that. Here is a great website for stuff to go along with FIAR if you haven't seen it...