or Connect

Posts by macandcheese

Yeah, that. I HATE the false claim that "feminists" are against breastfeeding because .... why, exactly? People who make arguments like that have no idea what feminism is about, gender studies degree or not.  
We have this one:   http://www.lowes.com/pd_302653-89154-IAP-10-150_4294936861_4294937087_?productId=3031734&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl_Air%2BPurifiers%2BFilters_4294936861_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_quantity_sold%7C1     It is amazing! We weren't even in the market for one, but I won it randomly. We set it up in our bedroom and it does a terrific job of catching dust, cat...
We literally just did this. The stove was delivered yesterday, and the gas company guys just left about an hour ago. We has an existing gas line that ran to under the kitchen and was capped off (apparently one of the previous owners had a gas stove that was replaced with electric before we bought the house). It took about an hour for two guys to extend the line to our new stove and hook it up. No special exhaust was needed, since the stove's line is on the same system as...
My baby slept on my chest or DH's for about the first four weeks, and now he sleeps next to me in bed. I feel much more comfortable with him right on/near me rather than in a seperate bed.
Natural here, but we had a home birth so I didn't have to worry about coercion or pressure from hospital staff. I was really determined to have a natural delivery with my first because I read way too many birth stories where mothers sought home births with later children because of horrible hospital experiences with their firsts :(
Updating for others who might be car seat shopping: We went with the TrueFit (regular version), and it fits very nicely in our small VW hatchback. Jude was just about 6.5lbs at birth and just under 6 at the ped. a few days later, and he was very secure and well-supported in the seat even at that tiny size. I would definitely recommend the TrueFit to anyone who is looking to use a convertible from birth. Thanks for all your helpful advice, ladies!
Speech therapy? WTH? That is pretty ridiculous, IMO. My son is a few days younger than your kiddo, and he just started squealing with intent a few days ago. I'm sure your DD will be screeching and squealing in no time! *not that speech therapy in general is a crazy idea. I know lots of kids benefit from it. But 4-month old babies have a lot going on. If squealing isn't on your DD's to-do list yet, just let your ears enjoy the next few days/weeks of mellow sounds.
I forget if any specific studies were done with this, but here's a Ted Talks video about how a group of kids who had never even seen a computer quickly taught themselves to use one. Even if this isn't exactly what you're looking for, it's a really enlightening discussion of education! http://www.ted.com/talks/sugata_mitra_the_child_driven_education.html
We've had success with a cotton PF wrapped around a MF insert from one of our pocket dipes (I believe we usually use the BG newborn inserts). Just make sure to not let the MF touch the baby's skin. The MF holds a ton of pee, and we've avoided leaks at night. You can also use fleece liners on top of the PFs to reduce the wet feeling. You might have to size up your cover for the night, as this makes for a super poofy diaper!
I already like Mothering on FB!