or Connect

Posts by Tway

We used the dang thing twice, I think. DD didn't really like it. I think she felt confined. I was going to add that I saw a family bring a Bumbo to a restaurant so their baby could eat at the table with them (which I thought was brilliant), but then read the horror stories here about babies flipping them over.
No full sentences yet, but DD seems to be trying out words a whole lot these days. Can you say "glasses"? "Dasses!" What's a cat say? "Melow, melow." Want some cheese? "Tseese!" Who's that over there? "Bampa!" "Mama!" is still my favourite, though.
I'll bite, too! - Up briefly at 8 when DH clomped around and banged doors getting ready for work. Managed to get DD to sleep another hour! - Up officially at 9. Spent 20 minutes lazing in bed with DD, playing "What does a cat say?" and "Where's the clock?" and "Ow, don't pull Mommy's hair!". - Put DD in her crib for 15 minutes while I tidied up, opened blinds, put on a load of wash, went to the bathroom, turned on the radio. - Changed DD's soggy diaper. -...
I posted awhile back that I count to 3 to DD, with building excitement in my voice, while changing her diaper or getting her dressed. For example, I'll say "one... two... THREE!" when I take off her diaper, or put her arm through a sleeve, with the "THREE!" being the big finale. She's come to expect something exciting and watches my face instead of trying to eat the diaper cream or do summersaults on the changing table. It doesn't always work, but often enough!
Quote: Originally Posted by sahmmie I was a nanny for many years before having my own and I saw first hand how tough it is to live in a house with a baby who won't sleep. I saw what happens when babies are nursed to sleep, rocked to sleep, bounced, held or carried to sleep. They never learn to put themselves to sleep. And if they never learn to put themselves to sleep, they never learn to sleep through the night. I know you're coming from a good...
The first time we left DD with my mom and dad she was about 2 months old. DH and I thought we needed a little "us" time and we went to eat at a restaurant nearby. What a disaster... for us! We couldn't eat, talked about DD the whole time, and left early (well, I did have dessert--who can resist chocolate mousse??). And we fast-walked home to find... DD asleep in my dad's arms. Since then, we've grown more and more comfortable with leaving DD for short periods of time,...
We also gave birth at a hospital in Montreal. No one mentioned that we needed to have the car seat checked, but we did anyway to make sure. They just verified that the straps were tight enough and sent us on our way. Little did we know that the base was installed totally wrong!!!! Serves me right for having someone else install it (whose baby was then 3 and past bucket-seat age) instead of checking how to do it myself. Anyway, I'm sure we could have left without having...
DD was never a belly sleeper, but FWIW her pediatrician told us that many parents "confessed" to him that they'd put their babies to sleep on their bellies. He said sometimes the baby's restful sleep is worth the very, very tiny SIDS risk and he never told those parents to do otherwise. ETA: Also wanted to mention that DD did, in fact, sleep on her belly for her first 5 weeks--although she was on my chest at the time. I remember reading that although Dr. Sears doesn't...
DD was 3 months last January, and for walks I'd put her in a onesie and cotton pants, socks, a sweater, a one-piece winter suit, and a hat. I'd then cover her with a blanket or two in the stroller. On windy/snowy days, I'd also close the top of the stroller (she was in a bucket seat with the sun visor that would fold up or down). Even when it was -25 and Mommy was freezing in her down coat, DD was always toasty warm--so much so that I'd often adjust her layers to cool her...
When I first started cosleeping when DD was around 1.5 months, I'd roll up a towel lengthwise and place it between us. It just gave me some reassurance that I wouldn't bump into or elbow DD, but rather the towel instead. At some point I felt confident enough in our sleeping that I removed the towel. I still bump and elbow her from time to time, but she seems to sleep through it, so I guess it doesn't bother her too much...