or Connect

Posts by Tway

Ah, a little far west for me. Maybe when I go to the ped's in Westmount I'll try it out. Sounds like a great place! Thanks!
SilverFish, where is this baby-friendly café of which you speak? I've been going to the Café des Cyclists (mostly because they have good coffee and a ramp) but the employees are so annoyingly rude. I'd love to find a new place to walk to! (And I've had DD dressed in a onesie, jeans, sweater, socks, shoes, jacket and hat lately--poor thing is sweating but I'm chilly so I assume she must be, too... )
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride The woman I personally know who is the least interested in her children's well-being would also fight tooth and nail to keep her kids with her, and is totally in denial about her lack of interest in their well being. So...I have no answers, but it's more complicated than "if you don't want them, you shouldn't have them". My friend gave birth about 2 weeks ago, and she briefly shared her room in the...
Is it bad of me to say I'm not really surprised? I've heard of moms who do such awful things to their kids. In fact, I just met a woman from Ireland who knew lots of people at home who stuck sleeping tablets in their kids' bottles and then snuck out the door for a night of drinking. There are so many stories in the news about mothers who abuse, neglect, starve, and otherwise mistreat their own kids. I guess a mother who delights in scaring her own child isn't terribly...
I always mention to the driver that I need 5 minutes to install the baby seat properly (because a driver once started to take off when I was in the middle of tying DD in--and I still had my legs out the open door!). Some drivers grumble, but most are pretty patient and many even try to help. DD is still in a bucket seat, so it's a fairly quick install. I also carry the metal seatbelt clasp on me in case the seatbelts don't lock.
DD is 11 months, and I'd say she's pretty likable. She loves people, and will smile and laugh with anyone. Everywhere we go, she tries to meet strangers' eyes to smile at them and get them to interact with her. We're always getting comments about how nice, pleasant, lovely, alert, etc. etc. she is. We just spent a long day on a vineyard tour with DH's family, and DD fit right in (minus the wine, of course!). I think she was born that way--although I hope our parenting...
What's always bothered me about Disney is that the characters are either 100% good, or 100% evil (or the evil ones repent and become 100% good). I think that creates really unrealistic expectations in kids. No one can be perfectly good all the time, and it's unfair to consistently show role models who never veer off the straight and narrow. In real life, kids do things they shouldn't--but that should be part of learning and growing up. Instead, Disney movies make it...
Quote: Originally Posted by Path2Felicity Parenting is hard. I feel that in our society, we try to make things easier so that kids don't become too hard for us. That is so very well said. It's kind of like starting a new job. You're a little lost and confused, you're out of your element, and you just want to do the right thing. And when you love your job, you invest in it--staying late, working a weekend or two, taking on extra projects....
We've got a glider that goes "ERRRRK!" when you rock too far back. I remember rocking DD only to have her startled awake by the dang noise. No matter how hard I tried, it would pop up unannounced. I'm worried about DD tipping the glider over now, actually. She's starting to climb and the thing falls forward if it gets too front heavy.
I was rereading the thread and it occurred to me that these 3 choices are pretty random and unconnected--like comparing apples and oranges. I don't mean to sound critical or anything, just wondering why these three examples were chosen and not, just for example, 3 questions about vaccination scenarios or 3 questions about eating. Enquiring minds want to know!