or Connect

Posts by Tway

I'd prefer applesauce without the sugar, and I never even considered cinnamon--but we give DD treats now and then so no harm done. We also vax. And I'd stand far away from the bonfire, but if it were safe otherwise, I think she'd love it. ETA: Just realized that, since we're in Canada, we only have 2 vaxes at 6 months. Didn't realize the US had so many at a time...
DD is almost 11 months and I breastfeed her to sleep most naps. It's WAY simpler than transferring her to a crib, or trying to get her to fall asleep on her own. At some point I decided "screw the experts" and made our lives a whole lot easier. At night, I feed DD and DH puts her to bed by shushing and patting and holding her hand. We tried the self-soother thing for a months or so when she was 4 months, but it stopped working. Again, I was fed up of bedtimes and decided...
I took your survey, but I don't live in the US--and quite a few members here don't either. Won't this affect your results? Perhaps you should include a question as to the country the person resides. Also, although the questions were about prenatal breastfeeding classes, I wanted to add that although these were helpful to me, it was the postnatal LLL visit that made breastfeeding really "click" for me. Beforehand was all theory, but it was putting it into practice that...
Restless baby here, too. Not every night, but enough nights to drive mama partially insane. Honestly, if she'd just dig her heels in my back, pull my hair and push me to the edge of the bed and then stop moving, I wouldn't complain. It's the dang FIDGETING that pushes me over the edge! So no advice, just commiseration.
I'm not saying it's ideal or the safest solution, but this is what we did for DD's first 5 or so weeks: I'd lie on the couch propped up by 2 pillows. Since it was late fall, I wore a zip-up fleece jacket with the zipper open. DH would lie DD on my chest, and I'd prop a pillow under one arm. DH would then push the coffee table up against the other side of the couch and prop a pillow under my other arm. He'd then put a pillow under my knees. I was pretty immobile, and...
So we tried out the Baby Hawk today, and I have a few questions! My lower back still hurt quite a bit after about 10 minutes. I'm tying the bottom ties around my waist, but maybe it should be lower...? Plus DD struggled to see the entire time. She was unhappy facing me, and spent our walk elbowing me in the throat trying to see here, see there, point at this, show me that... ARGH! WOuld it be better to have her on my back? How do you cope with not being able to see...
I slept with DD on my chest for 5 weeks, after a week of pure hell trying to get her to sleep in her moses basket. I got lots of tsk-tsk about it, but I was finally getting some sleep, and DD was out like a light for more than 30 minutes at a time. Fast forward to 10 months later, and DD spends half the night in her crib, and half in bed. Progress!
Thanks, mamas. I guess my angry tone and her hurt looked kinda floored me, and I didn't like my act-before-you-think reaction (I usually reserve those for middle-of-the-night, sleep-deprived events). I'd have preferred to take a breath, calm down, and use a firm tone rather than an angry one. Your input, as always, makes me feel like I'm on the right path. Thanks again!
There's definitely sexism out there, no doubt about it. Women have come a long way, but there's still a long way to go. As I get older, though, I'm starting to realize that there ARE differences between the sexes, and that those differences can be very good. I remember a friend of mine saying, after she had her baby, that she felt it was her DH's job to take care of her so she could look after their baby. I mean, it sounded so old fashioned--but it was her mama instinct...
So happy to have found this thread--and this forum! Here's what our routine generally looks like (at least Monday-Friday) 8:30/9:00 Up for the day (DH has already left for work) 9:00 - 10:00 Breakfast for DD and I 10:00 - 10:45 Shower for me, dry hair, dress DD 10:45 - 12:00 Playtime/Check email/Browse MDC 12:00 - 12:40 DD naps, I put on makeup/fix snack/finish checking emails 12:40 - 1:00 Pack bag, put DD in stroller 1:00 - 2:00 Walk through park, play...