or Connect

Posts by Snow Cherries

I've been out of town for a week and came home to find that my cilantro has bolted.  I'm still using the "regular" looking cilantro at the base of the plant and it tastes great.  But what about the more feathery looking foliage at the top - is that just as edible?  Will any more "good" cilantro grow now that it's bolted?  Does bolting mean I need to go ahead and pull it out?  I know the flower tops will eventually produce coriander (right?), but I don't plan on...
I'm ashamed to admit that I really don't understand a lot of things about local government, public programs, taxes etc.  It ocurred to me the other day (after a related conversation with a friend) that I really don't know how we fund our public schools in this state, particularly since we don't have state income taxes to pull from.  I'm sure that property taxes are funnelled that direction, but where else does the funding come from?  Can anyone suggest a good "primer" on...
www.rising-health.com   I can't personally recommend this ND/Clinic since I haven't had an appointment there yet due to financial constraints, but I've wanted to try them for a while now.  I hope you can find someone good!
i need some tips for encouraging my kids to play outdoors this year. I have two boys, ages 8 and 2 (plus a baby girl, but it's the boys I'm thinking of here). Despite the age gap, they play nicely together, although I would like to encourage my older son to play outside on his own as well. We have a medium sized backyard that is about half concrete and half grass/garden beds. Sadly, we do not have any mature trees in our backyard. They like to go out and ride their...
We have to get a new car. Dh got a new job and now has to use my car for work (he had a company vehicle at his last job so we only owned the one vehicle). My car, a 2007 Kia Rondo was already REALLY tight with three kids, so in a way its a good thing, I suppose. But we can only afford something in the $3,000 - $4,000 range. Maybe $5,000 if we borrow a little from my parents, though I'd rather not if we can help it. Our kids are 8, 2, and 3 months, so we need space...
Thank you for replying.  It helps to have a calm response when I'm so worried!  I will check out Pediatric Advisor.  He is a little worse today so I am taking him to the pediatrician this afternoon.  However, I'm less worried about this being pertussis today.  I'm thinking it's just a really bad cold/cough.  I don't think it's croup.  His cough doesn't sound like a seal barking and it doesn't get worse at night - it's definitely worse during the day.  Although his cough...
I'm worried that my 2 year old son may have pertussis.  He IS vaccinated.  I'm currently waiting for a nurse to call me back, but I'm a bit wary of any advice she may give.  My main concern is that if it is pertussis, I have a two month old baby girl who could catch it.  I've been reading and am going to order some good quality SA, I read about holding little one's bellies to help them cough, but I haven't seen any anecdotal stories of really young babies having...
Thought I'd post an update.  Baby is 5 weeks now and nursing is going great!  Things eased up for us around the 2 week mark or so (if I remember correctly?).  Using the nipple shield really was very helpful for us.  I'd never tried one before and it really helped my nipples to heal.  I tried nursing without it every third feeding or so just to keep her used to the "regular" way.  I think all in all I only used the shield for about 4 or 5 days.  I think her latch was just...
Thanks!  I'm doing a bit better today.  I'm being really diligent about expressing a little milk and then letting them air dry, then using Lansinoh.  I also tried a nipple shield for a few feedings and I think that helped.  I'm also trying to be really diligent about adjusting her latch as well as I can.  All those things together seem to be helping.  It's not perfect yet, but getting better and the active bleeding during feedings seems to be stopping.  I'm also...
My beautiful DD is just 4 days old and I'm really struggling with nipple soreness.  I can't get in to see a lactation consultant through my insurance until the middle of next week and I"m just beginning to look into private LC's in hopes that I can see someone this weekend.  But in the meantime, I'm hoping to find help here.    I successfully BF DS2 just two years ago and thought I'd remember enough that it would be easy this time around.  As far as I can tell, DD's...