or Connect

Posts by alison77

good luck figuring out a good combination to bring your symptoms under control. i have had anxiety issues for the past 10 or so years and only within the past year have been able to get off of SSRIs for keeping it at bay.  here's what's worked for me: dha supplement (x-tra dha by nordic naturals, 2 per day), L-theanine (100 mg per day, or sometimes 200 if it's a tough day), 50 mg 5-htp at night, and my ND prepares a nerve tonic and homeopathics (undas).  i also recommend...
Recently I have had 4 extensive cavities identified (1 fixed so far, 1 is a temporary crown, 2 to go) via an xray this year whereas none were found last year, and I've noticed that my nails have gotten very soft as well. I am currently on an SSRI but otherwise am not taking any other meds. I'm worried that these two symptoms are related, and that I need to supplement with something. Does anyone have ideas? Thanks.
we're trying to hike a lot these days, with DSes aged 6 and 9.  my younger DS does great, but sometimes needs a piggyback.  i find that the part that tires me the most in carrying him are my arms, and think that i could do it more easily with some fabric assistance:)  i'd love any suggestions for fashioning something that would work for me to hold him more easily in a piggyback position, considering his weight (43 lbs).  any ideas? thanks!
My advice is to wean very slowly and stay stable on each dose a little at a time.  Particularly as you don't know if you are going to be able to get totally off of the medication, this may help you find the lowest effective dose.  I have found that I am able to function well on a dose that my pdoc says should not be therapeutic, and I found that out reducing little by little (and ultimately stopping for a few months then starting again).  I am on a different medication...
the kids are asking for homemade lollipops for valentines at school and i am wondering what i can do for substitutions to my regular recipe to make it a little better.  i'd like to not use food coloring and wonder if there is any way to replace the corn syrup with something else.  has anyone done this?  thanks!
i read somewhere that barley is really good for holding heat, but now that i'm looking it up online i can't find that again.  did find some that talk about lentils staying hot for 15-20 minutes, which is WAY longer than my rice bags ever did!  going to the store tomorrow to pick some up as i need a new supply of rice bags:)
some things i like that seem to keep me full for longer:   lentil soup black bean soup i love the low carb/low cal joseph's pitas (45 cal) and spread with peanut butter and put 1/2 banana inside same pita with egg and spinach inside, sometimes with small slice cheese or some shredded cheese lots of fruit, a little yogurt and small amt of crushed nuts on top. a few hardboiled eggs (you can do 3 for 210 cal)   i think if you're already having a 300 cal...
A few of my favorites: A great source for salad inspiration is Mark Bittman's 101 Salads for the Season, from the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/22mlist.html One I just made that was great (but I didn't add the yogurt) is Beet and Carrot Slaw: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/07/candy-stripe-beet-and-carrot-slaw And my absolute beet favorite, more of a dip though is Beet Tzatziki, recipe by Ana Sortun of Sofra and Oleana in...
Hi - Looking for recommendations for consignment/thrift stores that have kids stuff.  Really would love a place that has older kids clothing sizes as well - here I mean like ages 5 and above because many of the places I've been to (others, not just these below) have little for non-toddlers.    We have been to:   Solano Kids on Solano, Berkeley - good for younger kids stuff Goodwill on San Pablo, Emeryville - had very little   Thanks!  
Thanks, Karoline!  These recs are very useful as we try to figure out the new community!  And thanks for the welcome.  It seems a great community so far.  We're on Peralta near Solano, so not too far from you.  Best, Alison