or Connect

Posts by Intoit

Quote: Originally Posted by emmaegbert ...that blood sugar levels are a better way to get an accurate picture of how food is affecting your insulin/blood sugar function. ... By the time you start seeing changes in the measure of blood glucose you are already beyond being insulin resistant and heading into full blown diabetic. Without actually measuring the amount of blood insulin being released to break down glucose there no way to know that...
Quote: Originally Posted by FairyRae So if someone is _still_ feeling like crap after a week after going vlc, it could be/may likely be a nutrient depletion/deficiency issue? Well, not necessarily... You can go from low carb to VLC and feel amazing or feel like total crap, it just depends on the individual, YMMV. If you are following the SAD or something similar in carbi-ness and drop to LC or VLC you may not even feel that "low carb flu" as...
Quote: Originally Posted by FairyRae Fascinating! Some folks on MDA talk about low carb flu lasting for weeks--I've read some folks saying it took 6 weeks for their bodies to get adjusted. Is that just bs or something else or...? What comes to my mind is mineral imbalance, usually potassium, magnesium, and/or sodium. Eating low carb is very diuretic for the body, especially when first beginning it. You can lose a lot of minerals in excretion,...
Quote: Originally Posted by geekgolightly But the actuality of giving up dairy is something else entirely! What do I eat? Life without butter or cheese (which is all the dairy I ever eat) seems unfathomable! It is absolutely true that food allergies/sensitivities will prevent weight loss. Hormones are very tricky things and easy to throw out of whack with the wrong stuff. I would try cutting out the dairy... many of the "paleo" people I know...
Quote: Originally Posted by geekgolightly Is this my body trying to go through the "low carb flu" that everyone talks about? Before this very low carb thing I was eating between 60-120 grams a day, but under 50 grams a day and my body felt really run down and awful. Should I power through? Listen to what your body is telling you. You should have no problem staying in ketosis and losing weight at 60-80 (or even more!) carbs a day. Going lower...
I am really psyched to find out the gender of ours as well. My intuition tells me we are having a boy, and we are so going to be finding out at the 20 week mark.
Wow, what a lovely idea, I would participate as well
Quote: Originally Posted by MrsBone would also like to add that I don't mind using beans, potatoes as a filler. Just mainly trying to stay grain free, especially since my allergies are horrible right now. I also don't mind making a dish that would allow my hubby to have bread, while I have lettuce or something, aka, burgers, etc. I've heard you can stretch out ground beef recipes with lentils..can you tell they're in there? never tried it. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by FairyRae What are your thoughts on synthetic vitamins vs. whole food based/grown vitamins? [...] Do any of you feel synthetic vites are dangerous (aside from the vit A toxicity issue), and why? Or not? Just looking for opinions.... I don't have much informed input regarding those specific vites, I'm afraid, but will get back to you on it . I do feel that with proper diet, there is not much supplementation that...
Quote: Originally Posted by _ktg_ I had to google it - Intermittant Fasting If you are feeling up to a little reading, Michael Eades, MD, has a pretty informative blog that discusses IF in detail. This page is from September of 2006. He has some great follow ups with a vast amount of commentary (flack and praise from all direction) that is quite thought provoking. ***note: I am in no way affiliated with Dr. Eades nor would I benefit from...