or Connect

Posts by nicky85

Hi! We are living in utah right now and the temperatures are swinging to low quickly. Tuesday the low is supposed to be 9, Wednesday the is going to be 17. We've planted cold hardy greens and have them covered in thick plastic anchored down with rocks to create a little greenhouse. Anything else that can be done?
We will probably be having squash stew (a concoction of rice, lentils, squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, celery, and spices that I throw together) and yeastless bread. I may also make a pumpkin pie with dates, and we'll probably have some apples and a salad too. DS will be having breastmilk. =) It's just the three of us and we don't want to go out to eat for Thanksgiving with his parents, so we're just doing something simple.
We don't do extra multivitamins, but keep up our three green smoothies a day. But mostly I'm just posting to say that your username is really fun PuppyPanties. =) I'm sure there is a great story behind it.
Six weeks, and I thought it would never end!
I've been giving my son a little stuffed animal to knead and handle while breastfeeding and so far it seems to be working. DS, Bartholomew the stuffed dog and I all snuggle up together and DS plays with Bartholomew while he nurses. Maybe the bruises and pinch marks will go away now.
Can you do seeds like sunflower and pumpkin? You could try getting some brown rice protein powder (I hear sunwarrior is a good brand) and putting it in a drink. I would not recommend getting some of the more conventional protein powders because they can have all kinds of really bad stuff in them.
I appreciate the small things about having a baby now. I'm grateful that my son can pee because he has spina bifida and we were told he would need life-long catheterization. He peed all over me in the hospital and I was so excited! I'm grateful for the opportunity to understand how to treat people who are different. I love seeing how determined my son is. He is a fighter and we are so proud of him. He's so young that he doesn't have any concept of what he can or can't do...
We drink three big green smoothies a day and actually don't do multivitamins any more since we get lots of iron and calcium that way. We're actually feeling better than we ever did before. For vitamin D, we all get out for a walk every day and soak up as much sun as we can. What's interesting, though, is that even meat eaters can be B12 deficient.(Check this out http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20030618/vegetarian-diet-b12-deficiency) I've read that B12 is produced...
Another interesting documentary (though it's kind of slow and not nearly as polished as Food Inc.) is King Corn. The reason that all this fast food is so cheap here in America is because the government gives subsidies for growing GMO corn that is fed to the cattle and chickens and used in HFCS. In King Corn, a couple of recent college grads decide to farm an acre of the GMO corn that is fed to feed lot cattle and goes for making HFCS. When they do the math, they find...
My sister-in-law is from Nicaragua and started eating junk when she moved to California. She now has insulin dependent type II diabetes. In fact, she's so insulin dependent that she is hooked up to a bag of insulin at all times. She was visiting last Christmas and she did nothing but eat junk food. I'm not kidding. Cookies, ice cream, graham crackers, chips, meat, cheese, sugary banana bread, chocolate,etc. It was sickening. She's killing herself. She and my husband's...