or Connect

Posts by Astoria

I haven't posted in ages, but your beautiful post about weaning just spoke to my heart today. My daughter is weaning this week, my third and final baby, and I feel a lot of pride and relief and a lot of heartbreak too. She's just two. For months she's been self-weaning, refusing to nurse when offered, shaking her head and making the yuck face (raspberries!). She was down to just nursing at 6 in the morning when she woke up, sleepy and snuggled close. But she was...
I totally relate. No advice but similar concerns. My baby is 17 months and she's 75% for height, 95% for head size, and between 5th and 10th % for weight. That worries me because with that kind of height and big head (!) shouldn't she weigh more? She nurses a lot and "grazes" all day. She rarely eats a full portion of anything, but she snacks on chicken, beans, rice, toast, fruit, pretzels, yogurt -- that sort of thing. I'm not sure what else to do. My ped is low...
Hi all, just noticed this thread. I haven't been around much. Phoebe is fabulous. Such a sweet and easy baby. She's eating a little but not much, just tasting. I'm not usually a worrier but she's a little mellow and not rolling over. She's doing lots of other normal things, but hates tummy time so I just don't give her much. She can sort of almost roll over, she rolls from her back until her belly is touching the bed, but her arm is still pinned under her. She...
All my babies preferred being with me. But as Phoebe is the third, sometimes she's out of luck and spends an hour or two with her dad. Doing it gets her used to it. She's exclusively breastfed so she can't be away from me for too long and I wouldn't want her to be, but our family life is busy and I need to be there for the boys sometimes. She'll cry to separate from me, but she's getting pretty used to spending time with dad and smiles hugely when she sees him.
We didn't! Gag reflex. Phoebe will not take a bottle or a pacifier. She gags when breastfeeding and will immediately vomit if you try to give her a bottle or a pacifier. Some babies just aren't comfortable with things in their mouths.
Nova Natural carries them. Google it. They are expensive, but lovely to have. Nova Natural is based in Vermont. Also A Toy Garden has them, much cheaper. Haven't tried theirs.
I've heard a lot about early swimming and was gifted a waterbabies book at a shower once. But am I the only one who wonders about putting a tiny baby in chlorine water? It does a number on my skin and hair, what about my baby's? And chlorine is really toxic to humans -- I understand pool water is at safe levels, but I just wonder about submersing a baby in it. Also wouldn't it kill off some of the more healthy bacteria that live on the skin allowing fungus and...
You got some great advice. I also think it may not be a ploy for attention but just a way to process her feelings. She may really feel threatened and unhappy about sharing her parents with a new sibling and genuinely feel hostility. She may just need to express this. Obviously hurting the baby is *not* a good way. Maybe she needs to feel like its safe to talk about her feelings (jealousy, ambivalence) or maybe act them out with her dolls. It's a hard process for kids...
I just have a couple of nursing shirts and a glamourmom tank or two. The nursing shirts have full underlayers so I pull up the top layer, leave the underlayer covering my belly and nurse her through the slit. It's comfortable for me because I'm totally covered except for my breast, where her head is. With the glamourmom tanks its the same idea, I use the tank under any shirt (when the weather gets cooler) and pull up the shirt and still have the tank on underneath. The...
Wow, I'm so impressed with you all! I've been only pumping the left, nursing on the right. I'm lucky if I get a full ounce from the left, pumping it for 20 minutes, about 5 times in 24 hours. Occasionally I get a whole once and a half, and then I'm ecstatic. I've never gotten 2. I'm reintroducing her to the left breast now that it's healed. It's still really painful and much more difficult than the right. I'm completely lopsided. Making a ton of milk on the...