or Connect

Posts by newmamalizzy

#7!!!!! Every few weeks I give up.  I GIVE UP!!!!!  But she's STILL THERE saying "Mommy! Mommy! and trying to cling to my neck.  I feel like the frustration and fury is going to bowl me over.  I seethe and roil and....then it drains away, and somehow I give my little girl a big hug, pop her in the car and take her someplace beautiful.    My DD isn't as physically boisterous as some high needs kids, so I often read the high needs checklists and say, "Nahhh, she's not...
Just wanted to say that we're in the same boat over here.  In fact, I just put DD down for the night (It's 5:20).  I don't have any answers, but I have a complicated theory about all this:  I suspect that the almost-twos reach an age where they can comfortably stay awake much longer than they needed to when they first started doing 1 nap.  So, while they used hit that "can't function anymore" point at naptime, now they hit it at a time that's too early for bed, but too...
If he'll eat blended up soups, I'd say go for it!!  My daughter LOVES soup.  She'll eat almost anything if it comes from soup, even if she wouldn't touch the food otherwise.  My advice otherwise, is to keep your food offerings aspirational (i.e. keep sticking those veggies on the plate even though you don't think they'll get eaten), prepare the veggies in a way that you would enjoy them, sneak some veggies into foods he WILL eat (pasta sauce is a good one, and adding...
Felt like I had to add this to the discussion...this was six or so months ago.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x89YlrzsY3I
Wow, questions for the non-bib people:    1. PLEASE teach me how to do laundry.  Because, even WITH wearing bibs, almost everything DD owns has a stain.  We're trying to pass this stuff down to a baby cousin with picky parents, so this drives me nuts.   2.  Doesn't the child get cold if you go the topless route?  Our house is so cold all the time that I have DD and I bundled up in big sweaters all day.  We remove the sweater for meals, but I feel like she would...
As someone who's been there - for us, it just...changed itself.  I think it was around 8 or 9 months, I found I could lie with her on the bed and pat her back - HARD.  And she would fall asleep.  Then she took to falling asleep on me, with me patting her back.  At 23 months, she falls asleep on her mattress with me holding her hand, or sometimes just lying beside her.  I haven't pushed her, but I have taken advantage of times when she's having trouble falling asleep to...
I think DD was still getting 90% or more of her nutrition from formula at 12 months, so I gave her bottles at night with no question.  She still gets one, at 23 months.  She's a frequent night-waker, but she only asks for the bottle once, so I figure she must really want it.  So, to answer your question, I think it's perfectly normal, and it sounds like you've got a pretty good sleeper on your hands, so I'm guessing he'll grow out of it well before he's 2.  Don't sweat it!
My daughter is younger (23 months), but the time-out actually works really well for her.  And she seems like she likes it.  I don't see it as a discipline tactic, but as an actual time out, where she takes a break for a minute to reset herself.  We babysit her baby cousin on Fridays, and between her LOVING her cousin so much she can't handle it, having less of my attention, and generally not napping, she gets REALLY out of control.  Sitting in the "Blue chair" for a...
Is there a way that you could start backing off of whatever you do to soothe him when you go in at night?  Maybe lie a little further away from him on the bed while he's falling asleep, get up a few times to fuss with the curtains, etc., just to get him going to sleep a bit more independently?  My daughter is 22 months, and I recently "weaned" her from being "patted" to go to sleep.  I still lie right next to her on the bed, but it's amazing not to have to touch her to...
Sorry for not responding sooner to all of your helpful responses.  The hard night-wakings have continued, although we're doing better at avoiding outright tantrums.  It seems that something's bothering her (physically) - but I can't figure out what, and she can't describe it for me.  This all started the week after she had a dreadful cold, and it seems like it could still be something trickling down from that.  I suspect post-nasal drip, as she wakes up audibly...