or Connect

Posts by newmamalizzy

Is there a way that you could start backing off of whatever you do to soothe him when you go in at night?  Maybe lie a little further away from him on the bed while he's falling asleep, get up a few times to fuss with the curtains, etc., just to get him going to sleep a bit more independently?  My daughter is 22 months, and I recently "weaned" her from being "patted" to go to sleep.  I still lie right next to her on the bed, but it's amazing not to have to touch her to...
Sorry for not responding sooner to all of your helpful responses.  The hard night-wakings have continued, although we're doing better at avoiding outright tantrums.  It seems that something's bothering her (physically) - but I can't figure out what, and she can't describe it for me.  This all started the week after she had a dreadful cold, and it seems like it could still be something trickling down from that.  I suspect post-nasal drip, as she wakes up audibly...
I don't have a 3 year old - yet(!), but the sample day you posted makes me wonder if she could be missing some fruit/veggie nutrition.  It actually didn't sound like a ton of food to me, but it did seem a bit unbalanced.  Sounds like your daughter just isn't very keen on fruits and veggies at this point, but it might not hurt to add one to every meal, from an aspirational standpoint.
We like the Bjorn little potty, too.  It's simple, and it puts DD in a sitting position similar to a poop-squat :) 
I feel like around this age my daughter seemed to need to cry a bit in order to get to sleep, like she needed a release.  Actually, she still needs that sometimes.  I think what would happen for us was that I'd lie with her (her mattress is next to mine) and gently lay her down whenever she'd pop up.  She'd get upset after a while, I'd soothe her as she cried, and she'd fall asleep.  Maybe you could lie with him in your bed instead of doing the crib?    Also, I drove...
So glad things are getting back to normal for you guys.  Hope it keeps up!  We're still having a rocky time with the nap here - DD keeps pooping during her naptime!  What's your LO's sleep schedule now, BTW?  I'd like to change ours up a little bit and see if we can push bedtime back a bit, so I'm curious what works for others.
We do something similar to many others:  Brush teeth shortly after dinner, then into the dim bedroom for books, then PJs, bottle with lights out, then she's in her bed (we share a room) with me lying next to her, usually touching her.  Takes her 10 - 30 minutes to fall asleep once she's lying down.  I aim for the bottle to happen at about 5:30 so she's asleep by 6.  (We have the opposite problem - DD always manages to slide her bedtime back to a ridiculously early hour. ...
DD is 22 months and, oddly enough, likes watching episodes of From the Top (PBS show featuring young classical musicians).  We stream it online  Don't know if they sell an affordable DVD of it. 
I have a 22.5 lb 22 month old (32-ish inches), so we have similar issues with loose pants.  Leggings work pretty well for us, since they are snug at least in the legs to hold them up.  Have you tried skirts or jumpers with babylegs?  That might work well for pottying. 
I am so, so, SO sympathetic.  Seriously.  I know exactly what you're going through, and sometimes I really, truly want to throw my daughter out the window.  I get really angry at her and act really mean and say nasty things that I feel awful about...ugh.  You are totally not alone.  Could you maybe try letting him lie down on you and rubbing/patting his back?  That sometimes works for my daughter.  What also sometimes works (I know this sounds awful) is making her mad. ...