or Connect

Posts by newmamalizzy

My one suggestion would be to do less talking and use more non-verbal methods of dealing with your son.  I would stop reminding him about things like playing in the blinds (because, honestly, how often does he really listen when you say it?) and simply stop him, gently, but firmly, from doing the behaviors you don't like.  (Which, if your anything like me, is usually what ends up happening after talking yourself blue in the face anyway.)  It sounds like he's a pretty...
Sounds very similar to our situation.  It seems like the coming of fall/winter brought a major drop in our social activities, and both Bea and I are really feeling the loss.  It drives me NUTS when I take her to a place where I hope there will be kids (like the library) and there aren't any.  A few towns near me have churches with multi-age drop-in playgroups.  I haven't checked these out yet, but I think it may be our best bet.  I'm a little apprehensive about the...
We're ready to ditch our humongous high chair and were planning to buy a booster seat for DD (20 mos.) for Christmas.  I started looking at booster seats and feel like I don't like ANY of them.  Ikea sells a "junior chair" designed to raise the child to table height, similar to a high chair, but no tray/straps and more "mature."  I like the idea of this, but didn't love the Ikea version, and I'm having trouble finding others.  Anyone know where I should look?  OR have a...
DD (20 months) and I did a paper chain and she LOVED it.  But definitely get the strips of paper all cut up ahead of time. I was thinking we'd do a posterboard tree, too, with velcro dots for her to stick the ornaments on. 
Is it possible that he got water in his eyes or something, or some sort of baby-trauma?  DD is petrified of getting water in her eyes, so I dab her face with a towel unnecessarily throughout the bath, just to make her feel secure.  We read "Tubby Time" by Leslie Patricelli, and it seems to help with the hair-washing issue.  Another thought - has it gotten colder in your house?  DD HATES the cold after-the-bath thing, or if it's cold in the bathroom while she's bathing. 
Sometimes if my 20 month old does the running away thing I just lay down and tell her I'm going to sleep until she wants to get dressed (or whatever).  She HATES it when I sleep, so it's almost guaranteed to work, and if it doesn't, at least I get a nap!  Lately I've been letting her choose her own clothes, and she's generally willing to put them on right away.  If I'm really not in the mood to be creative, I'll distract her with TV for a few minutes.  It's like an...
Argh, what IS it with people and CIO?  I'm sorry to say I don't have a ton of advice for you, but I just wanted to say - Vent away!!!  And you definitely sound like you need to vent, because after reading your post I feel like I was blessed with a great sleeper after all.  It sounds like you've tried everything that I would try.  Just curious - what's your son's daytime behavior like?  Does he strike you as being overtired, or is he generally even-keeled, relatively...
Similar to PP, just wanted to mention that my now 19 month old started with an eczema-like rash last fall, along with some major allergy rings under her eyes.  She wasn't on solids yet, and was on Alimentum, so it was most likely not a dairy/food issue.  She itched and scratched for several months and then just snapped out of it sometime in midwinter.  I almost forgot about it until, about a month ago, she started getting little bumps on her torso - almost exactly a year...
I'll chime in with Burlington, VT.  It's a really fun town, very walkable, lots of parks/wooded areas, music, shops, farmer's markets, co-ops... Montpelier's nice, too, but there's a lot more going on in Burlington.  Portsmouth, NH is also pretty cool, and I definitely agree with the Amherst/NoHo recommendation. 
Depends on the kid, of course, but my 19 month old girl would definitely have played with a play kitchen at 14 months, and LOVES playing with the one at our local playcafe now.  We're getting one for Christmas, too.