or Connect

Posts by newmamalizzy

Maybe I'M the one that needs the variety...it's a good thought.  Somehow I'm far more willing to be seasonal about veggies than fruits. 
I have a 19 month old, and ever since she started solids, she's eaten fruit at least 3 times a day.  Lately, I feel like it's hard to find enough variety to feed her as much fruit as I would like.  Sometimes I'll give her canned fruit in fruit juice, but I'm not psyched about it.  She's currently eating frozen wild blueberries, bananas, apples (but she's not good at chewing, so she doesn't consume much), applesauce, and kiwis.  I think the kiwis might give her diaper...
Sorry, MicaR, I didn't mean to dishearten you!  Honestly, things have gotten a LOT better for us since DD was your LO's age.  She may still wake a lot, but her sleep is consistently better than it used to be and I definitely don't feel that crazy, awful, sleep-deprived way that I used to.  One thing that's helped is that her ways of going to sleep matured over time, so I expend a lot less energy getting her to sleep.  It's still time consuming, and I still get woken up...
I'm curious, FarmerBeth, do you really think the other children actually "get" the concept the way your daughter strives to?  I was always a math whiz, but I feel like I didn't actually "get" a lot of these concepts until high school, when I started being able to consider math as something you could control, rather like a language.  I feel like most kids your daughter's age are satisfied if they know how to reliably get the right answer.  Seems to me, though, that a math...
I'm right there with the social anxiety.  I avoid interacting with other moms at the park, but even worse (and much harder to avoid) is having to interact with all the other kids.  I love MY kid, but am definitely not a "kid person." I have a lot of other weird phobia-type things, too - stupid things, like detached hair, or pen/marker marks on skin.  DD at 19 months already says "Yucky!" and makes a grossed out face whenever she finds a hair.  Whoops.  So much for not...
I can understand why you're not doing this, but what happens if you DO go soothe him right away when he starts whining?  And what happens if you continue to not pick him up when you go in to soothe him?  I know you said he cries, but would he keep crying for hours if you didn't pick him up?  Would he get frantic?  I guess I feel like there's nothing really wrong with a toddler wanting attention at night, but you shouldn't feel like you're being pushed to do exactly what...
So, first there was the 4-day power outage, then the time-change, and now my 19 month old is doing this weird, awful thing at night where she wakes up crying 2-ish hours after going to bed and simply cannot go back to sleep.  She tries to sleep, and will alternately doze (for 1 - 2 minutes), then write around and cry until I soothe her back to sleep.  This goes on for upwards of three hours, and usually only ends if I give her a bottle with Tylenol in it.  BUT - if I...
Sounds to me like she's handling it, but misses you.  The book Playful Parenting addresses this a bit, and it seems like it's a normal way for a child express their feelings about separation.  You left me, now I'm going to leave you.  I would just try to really keep pushing for connection when you get home, like you're the one seeking her out, and then give her a good dose of solid attention before you head off to do other things. 
Ah, yes, the back arching.  We get a lot of that, too.  She inevitably smacks her head at some point, which makes me feel even worse about the whole situation. 
Same here.  Early mornings (4:30 - 5) and overtired, even by earlier-than-usual nap time = 1.5 hours spent getting her to sleep for nap.  Argh.