or Connect

Posts by flyrabbitfly

For us the nighttime squirming was WHY we nighttime EC'd and it did fix the problem. Can you make or invest in some wool chaps to tuck the prefold into? There is a DIY EC site with lots of patterns, or Continuum Family and EC Store have them to buy. Or wait for warmer weather, protect the mattress and let her sleep naked! We use a thick wool blanket under the sheet, and kept some towels nearby in case of a night time miss. I would potty him once or twice a night until...
Also, he may just be experimenting with this newly recognized bodily function and playing with to what degree he can control it. By all means, don't give him any negative reactions to associate with potty training. If you lose your patience, be calm while putting undies or dipe back on (you probably are, just thought worth mentioning). My son was EC'd from birth and grad around 18  mo. Then about 2 mo later, he suddenly really cognitively GOT it that this peeing stuff...
Yay!
We only did nighttime EC because DS demanded it- he would kick and kick and kick for hours until he finally peed himself, but if I pottied him, he would go right back to sleep and we all slept better with out the kicking! I think if he had been happy to pee in his diaper, I would have been happy to sleep more! So if it wakes up your DD and you all lose sleep, it might not be right for her. I'd say, if it doesn't give you all MORE sleep within a week or so, can...
I think it depends. If you have just one kid, and are SAHM, for us there were just no situations when I was farther than one room from him, in constant vocal or hearing contact and would hear right away, if not witness any bathroom blunders. So we never did any bathroom safety. The whole no-substitute-for-supervision thing. On the other hand, if you have more than one kid, or aren't the sole/main caregiver, or have many things pulling your attention in different...
Awesome!
So with respect to autonomy it sounds like prior to these events he was getting all the autonomy ops he needed. And everything was going so well. But in this situation where his world is changing in big ways he can't control, he may be feeling he has no control, or not enough control of himself. A few times playing power games at home may be all he needs to reset his balance.  Maybe you can ask the dayhome lady to offer him a choice about apple or banana for a snack or...
If you've seen me on these boards, you probably know I am the "autonomy lady". Maybe I should change my screen name to that-lol. I believe that at this age, the struggle to achieve autonomy is THE great focus of our toddler's experience. With the fairly earth-shattering change he is living through, with out any input of his, without any choice in the matter, his nanny is gone and he has to go this place, where, for his and others safety, there are lots of "Don'ts....
For pees I wouldn't expect him to sit- just offer a yogurt container while he's standing (great to avoid pants with zippers/buttons so you can just pull down the front of his pants and make cue sound). For poos you probably need to make it worth his while to sit for a minute. Book or even (ugh- we are stuck doing this) You Tube (natl geo is good)...or some stuff to play with that is usually not allowed/avail...
This may also just be that time when he is wanting CONTROL over something, anything, and he has hit upon the fact that he and only he can control where he goes. Maybe a great time to start "power games" (like my DS likes to throw his stuffed animals into the bathroom, where it grosses me out to have soft animals that aren't washable on the bathroom floor. But it isn't like he is throwing knives or anything so at some point we made a game out of it. I say, "Oh no!!! Get...