or Connect

Posts by flyrabbitfly

What type of cookware do you use? Cooking her food in cast iron will add iron to most foods. Also try not to worry too much! If she is growing and energetic, she may already be doing better in the rbc dept. too much iron is possibly a greater problem in children than too little (as they are very susceptible to iron poisoning)
I think at that age we started sitting DS on the bblp, since he could hold his head up and support his own trunk some- we just steadied him and made sure he was pointing in the right direction. I think this would put less pressure....
What are you using for baby wipes? My DS had some diaper rash issues when he was under 1 yr, and even a missed wet fart would make his butt raw, so for us it was more a contact rash related to poop than anything to do with ammonia or yeast. We washed his dipes with baking soda and vinegar in the rinse every time (and they were more training pants than dipes- only a few layers because we EC'd). He wasn't even in dipes at all more than half the time and he would still get...
Hi- I don't have personal experience with this (still nursing ds whenever) but remember seeing a link with Naomi Aldort's nightweaning advice around on this site.... here it is: : http://mothering.com/weaning-child Good luck!
I'd say underwear as well- my DS is pretty much an EC grad, but he will still take advantage of the little bit of absorbency in trainers to delay the inevitable trip to the potty. He never wets his undies at all. I'm sure your MIL doesn't want to be changing diapers forever- surely she knows some accidents will happen in the transition?
We co-slept and night-EC'd our little guy as well. I was always concerned that he would be cold, but even if he was naked he would kick the covers off so I think maybe we are more concerned about this than they are. Baby's solution to being cold at night is to snuggle closer to mama... So we had DS sleeping on a wool puddle pad (when he got older this turned into a pair of wool blankets under the sheet). In warm weather, he just slept naked. During the winter I got a...
Ah, company can throw things for a big loop! As much naked time as is manageable might help get things back on track- also try other receptacles as well: sink, tub, outside- sometimes no means, not here, or not like this...
Can you lose the changing table routine? Change him on your lap, on the floor, or something else? Maybe take off the dipe and let him be nakey on some waterproof surface for a bit before putting him on the potty or giving him a new dipe- most babies LOVE to be naked and maybe that might help him have more pleasant association with having his diaper removed...
As I've said elsewhere, above all: don't let it be a battlefield! If you are annoyed, talk about it on the forum all day, but don't get annoyed when it happens! Maintain complete calm, above all, talk about it in a peaceful way, and since you are pretty sure it is about his anger, talk about his feelings. Help him learn to name his feeling, and learn ways to express himself. i.e.: "Hey, you put your pee on the floor. You look very angry right now- are you feeling angry?...
I second the non-waterproof dipes at home- that way you know right away, but there really isn't any mess, and bub gets changed right away. Some babies just don't show many signs. I think it is worth it to look really hard for them though- if you end up relying totally on timing (which is what we did) it can work, but it becomes all about you being in control of where their pee goes, instead of about developing this communication between you and then when it is time for...