or Connect

Posts by flyrabbitfly

Although our DS did want to chew on many things, we were lucky that he never actually wanted to chew on the potty! We used to keep a vinegar spray bottle beside it though, to keep it pretty clean (until he got bigger and wanted to spray vinegar all the time- to this day he cleans the toilet a lot more than I do!). I agree with Seraf, if you keep the potty clean, it really isn't any worse than chewing on any other plastic, but then, chewing on plastic is not such a great...
Wow, I can see you are very attached to the idea of diapering babies, and that you know very little about EC. We ECd our son from the day we got home from the hospital. From th beginning he preferred to poop in the potty and we almost never had to change a poopy diaper. It was not something for him to "worry about" and not about making him grow up faster. It was about respecting him as a small human, who doesn't want to languish in his own waste any more than you do. And...
Hi Fellow Co-sleepers! Can anyone recommend a bedside clock that doesn't beep when you push the light-up button, nor stay lit all night long? We are co-sleeping with a light sleeper! I used to keep my iphone by the bed, and just check it when he potties at night (we EC too) so I know the next time he wakes up if he likely needs to pee again or just give boobie. And so I know if it is too insanely early to try to sneak out of bed yet in the morning! But then he...
Breastfeeding my almost 2 yo DS at Joygesa Temple, Seoul, South Korea. This was during the Lotus Lantern celebrations and this happened to be a quiet shady spot for him to take a nap. Behind us you can see a painted panel showing the baby (toddler?) Buddha, nursing with his smiling mother.
Consider this: when you put your child in timeout until he stops crying, you are giving him (at least) three messages: 1. your impulse is wrong 2. your emotions are wrong. 3. And you will be isolated until you can stop being yourself. Making a little kid say sorry when he doesn't really feel sorry (and probably it isn't yet in him developmentally to have the empathy required to feel sorry) is teaching him to LIE. AND that it is better to lie and not get in trouble, or get...
Lots of good advice above. I think that at his age, he is probably a little late for EC and a little early for PL. But I think if you try to keep doing what you are doing and get as much pee in an appropriate place, and keep talking about it, he will get it as soon as he is able. Even with EC from birth, probably from age 1 to 14 months or so, we had the most success if we just kept the house completely littered with potties or "potty jars" (yogurt containers). The...
I agree with so much of the pp's advice- also enjoyed Playful Parenting, and definitely agree that controlling the space is less frustrating for you and your toddler than trying to control your toddler. At the end of the day, he is another human. You really can't control another human's actions, only your own. (I mean, yes, you are bigger and can pin him down and wrestle and win, but I am talking about not being physically coercive- I don't want my son to think that...
Wow. I read a quote a while back so I don't remember it exactly but it was something like, "I doubt many great leaders started out as good little girls and boys." This lady wants to make sure your dd will be a good tax payer. Don't break her spirit- some day she might be the one deciding what the rest of us pay taxes for. It doesn't sound like she enjoys this play group, or that it is in her best interest either. If you just want play opportunities for her, try a local...
My take on your DD's position is one of autonomy. This age is about her autonomy. If you have been having trouble supporting her quest for autonomy in other areas, then she may have simply found that she can control her elimination and assert herself in opposition to you in that area. Especially her holding it to the point of pee shivers and NOT going on the potty makes this case. She says no a lot. Maybe you do too? Naomi Aldort's book Raising our Children, Raising...
My DS, 21 months, also grad, started doing this on and off with pee for the last month. I agree it has to with their discovery of their control over their bodies... It is hard for me to keep chill about it, but is definitely the thing to do- I try to just accept that drips and spills happen while he figures out the limits of that control... Even tougher I imagine with poop- you don't want her to become constipated... I have heard that withholding can also be when kids are...