or Connect

Posts by Lynann

LoogieJane, wow can't believe your DH has to pay so much income tax. That would certainly push things up considerably. Here in Florida we don't have a State income tax, but still pay the Federal one. Its one of the few financial benefits to living here (tourist/resort tax makes up for the state income tax)   One of the advantages I see with the inflatable pool is that the water naturally stays warm/hot for a lot longer than a birth tub that has solid sides and the...
I can't believe how expensive NY home birth midwives are. I know that cost of living is expensive there, but I also know that cost of living is pretty expensive down here in South Florida too and the most expensive price I've seen is $5,500.   My first midwife is a LM with 10 years of experience and she charged $4,300 of which we paid $1,700 and insurance paid the rest. All the labs etc were covered by insurance 100%. The birth kit was about $70 and her assistant's...
My boys were 8lb7oz and 9lb8oz at birth and neither of them would have fit OS Pockets for the first couple of months. They didn't even fit the prefolds to begin with, which are less bulky between the legs. DS1 was in 'sposies for about 6 weeks, then prefolds. DS2 was in NB fitteds for 3 weeks, then prefolds (which were still huge on him, but he outgrew the fitteds that quickly)   I would plan on having something other than one size diapers for the first couple of...
  For the wadding/batting part I just used 12 layers of t-shirt. Honestly the whole diaper was made from old t-shirts, and since they were only for newborn they did great. If I make the next size up this time I'll be using a thicker cotton, but again probably 10-12 layers. You could use old towels and then some cotton on either side, as that would be really absorbant. I should say that the t-shirts were DH's old 100% cotton white under shirts except for the outer layer...
For sewing the fitteds I cut everything first, then sewed them as I found the time (usually around DS1's naps or after he went down at night.)
This is the pattern I used. I did scale the small down a little more to make it just for a newborn, but DS2 outgrew them within weeks.   They also have a matching wool soaker that is knitted flat and I love how easy it is.   It is important to use real 100% wool for the wool soaker and I found some at $2.49 a ball at knitpicks and it only takes 1 ball to make the small size soaker. One thing I would say about wool for soakers though is to stay away from merino or...
I did like the pockets with DS1 for overnight when we first started using them. They were great for about the first 6 months we used them (DS1 was already a year old when we started) but then I found the microfiber was beginning to irritate him and put him back in prefolds.   DS2 did great in pockets overnight until he started using a sippy cup. At that point we noticed he would get his bladder really full then pee so fast that the microfiber couldn't absorb the pee...
I'd just buy the minimum amount you need for the new born stage for now. It difficult to say what will work until you get to know your baby.   DS1 did great in the cheap Gerber Premium Prefold Diapers we got for him. He pees often and not in huge amounts. He also had the chubbiest thighs I'd seen once we sorted out his feeding issues.   DS2 needed a much heavier more absorbent diaper as he holds his pee (we think he has a massive bladder like his dad) and then...
I love cloth diapering. With DS1 we used throw aways for about the first 5-6 weeks until he was big enough for the one size prefolds we had. We used prefolds with snappis and one size covers for his whole first year. Once we had a bit more money we got a few one size pockets for overnight use.   With DS2 I made 24 new born fitteds and knitted wool soakers to go over, so he was in cloth from the beginning.   My boys both had huge thighs and I found Kawaii Baby...
I made a lot last time with DS2, so there isn't much I need to make this time.   I was thinking my big project could be making a soft structured baby carrier that will work better at back carrier than my Ergo does, since my Ergo doesn't fit around my enormous bust very well as a back carry.   I've also crochet a blanket for my other two, so this one will get their own specially made blanket too.   I do like the idea of playing around with some nursing clothes...