or Connect

Posts by juniper_mama

Thanks mamas.  I feel that both my kids are exceptionally healthy so this is really a mystery to me.  I don't feel like tandem nursing has been anything but good for both of them so I really don't feel that is the issue, but my husband still feels I should wean our toddler to give the baby the benefit of the doubt.  We see the dentist on Thursday so we'll see where to go from here.  Now I'm just researching options for teeth care and am finding all sorts of things that I...
Hoping to get some information here as I'm very concerned about my nine month olds teeth. We had been noticing that the top two front teeth were looking a bit discolored but on closer inspection we just found that they actually have deep pits in the front of both teeth. His four other teeth on the bottom look okay at this point. I've made an appt with a pediatric dentist for next week and am wondering what to expect as I'd like to go as prepared as possible. What...
Great thread!   DS1 is named Riker and he was 21 days old before we agreed on that after abandoning our previously shortlisted names.  DH really wanted to call him Romulus but I just couldn't do it.  Riker is apparently a Dutch surname form of Richard and we like the surname trend (and aren't unhappy with the Star Trek reference either).  His belly name was Optimus.  DS2 is due in 18 days (!) and we're really struggling to come up with an equally interesting and...
    YES YES YES all the time!       My addition to this awesome thread:   Nearly every day you find yourself uttering sentences that may just have been said for the first time ever.  "Uh oh is that a race car driver in the blender?"
We currenly cosleep with our 19 month old son and he (mostly) sleeps in a sidecarred crib.  We're expecting DS2 in four months and I just can't get my head around how we'll manage to get both to sleep and then have the space to actually get some sleep ourselves.  How do you welcome a new baby into a co-sleeping arrangement where space is at a premium?  We're in a queen bed and can only just fit a seperate basinette on the other side of the bed, but I'll have to get up to...
I seem to remember reading somewhere that most graphs you see about the effectiveness of vaccines show a sharp decline in the incidence of a particular disease just after the introduction of a vaccine BUT that if you can find the graphs that stretch out an earlier timeline, you'll see that the disease was already in decline presumably due to hygiene, quarantine, etc. and that after the vaccine, the disease continues to folllow a similar downward trajectory.  I can't seem...
Thanks everyone. I already feel like I made the right decision for now. I can always reevaluate in the future and since we'd like another sometime soon, it may be that I'll be on leave again in a year's time or so. t 2009 - nanny sharing is a great idea and I approached my nanny but she wasn't really interested :(
Thanks for your helpful replies.  I've decided to keep the nanny since well, it wasn't broke so why fix it?  I was wondering though at what age it might be better for him to have more socialization.  Not that he doesn't see plenty of people now, at playgroups etc.  KLM99, you think that might be around 3 or 4?
I did a Master of Environmental Science in 2006 with a focus on engaging university students in sustainability initiatives on campus along with how we go about trying to change people's behavior to act in more environmentally responsible ways.  I then got a job as a research fellow for one year working on a related project and I now work for the university's sustainability office on student outreach and education projects.  I LOVE my job!  It's great to do something you...
I could use some advice.  I went back to work about two months ago for two days per week.  Since I couldn't get a spot in a daycare center, I hired a nanny to come to my home to care for DS (now 14 months).  It's working out well.  After a year and a half on several waiting lists, I've just been offered a place in a center on the campus where I work and I'm not sure if I should make a switch. Here are the factors: Quality of care is number one.  I spent the morning...