or Connect

Posts by happilyloved

As you have seen, each woman's trauma is different.  My first c-section went "very smoothly" according to my doctor and I got to hold my daughter for a few minutes in recovery before they took her to the nursery for bath and observation.  DH went with her and videotaped the whole thing and nothing "bad" happened to either one of us, but it was all very wrong.  She didn't nurse well, so she had low blood sugar, supplemented with formula, she wouldn't latch, I had to pump,...
I have this one and I *love* it.  http://www.kenmore.com/shc/s/p_10154_12604_02019233000P?vName=Home&cName=Sewing+Machines&sName=Electric+Sewing+Machines&prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=L3  It is reliable and has done a great job from satin to knits to jeans.  I have a much more expensive Babylock that I got for embroidery, but find myself going back to this one for my everyday sewing.
My grandma has shingles. I can't remember what I have read about chickenpox caught this way - is it as good a way as any to get exposed or does it predispose them to shingles later in life somehow? My kids are 19m, 5 and 7 if it matters.
I forgot to mention - one of the books recommended above was written by Lisa Rivero, who has written a bunch on homeschooling gifted children. I attended a few of her sessions at the WPA conference last month and she was very inspiring. She is in Milwaukee, so maybe she has some speaking engagements coming up? I have no idea, but I bet your husband would find her convincing.
Quote: Originally Posted by boysmom2 Thank you! You're right. I need to challenge him more on this. I'm going to re-read your post a few more times tomorrow before we discuss this again. Thanks for getting me fired up about this! And, I wish I lived near you! (Maybe you could come over and help me argue!) But, I'm in SE WI. Thanks for the offer though! I know we have other hs groups here. I'll be looking to sign up. Thanks, everybody! ...
My DH is in charge of cutting the grass, but he has been working long hours and helping out in a million other ways when he gets home. This time of year it really needs it a minimum of once a week, but ideally every few days because it grows so fast and he just doesn't have time to get it done. I can leave my daughters in the house to get it done, but definitely not my almost 18m DS. I would never let him play outside while I mow, but I am wondering about wearing him. ...
We vaccinated our daughters mostly on schedule until about 18m when we changed our minds. They have not had CP or any boosters after 18 months. As homeschoolers it has never come up, but we are enrolling them in a virtual academy this year, which is public school, and subject to vaccine requirements. They are requesting vaccine records. Do I fill out what they have had and then check the philosophical objection? Can that be questioned?
I am so sorry you are dealing with this too. Unfortunately I don't have any advice for you because we are in the middle of it too with my 7 year old daughter. She hasn't threatened to kill herself, that must be terrifying, but we have the same total anxiety about going anywhere or doing anything. We are currently exploring how giftedness may be affecting it, but currently the best results have come from craniosacral therapy. It is helping, but not enough, so we too are...
Quote: Originally Posted by joensally It sounds like he needs some help building his resilience and flexible thinking skills. It sounds like these things are causing him problems so it would be great to provide him with strategies, because the world only becomes more complicated as they age. I would recommend reading up on executive functioning, anxiety and OCD. He may not have issues with any of these, but you may find strategies that work for...
My DS is very similar (and so were his sisters before him). As far as the flight, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I just flew with DS at 5 months old and he did GREAT. He was a little fussy getting on and off each flight (4 total) because it was so much rushing and jostling (2 adults, 3 kids and a puppy in a carrier, it was crazy) but as soon as we accellerated to take off, he was OUT. The noise and movement was so soothing to him, I didn't have to stand and wear...