or Connect

Posts by Erin77

I think you need to spell out how your flexibility will benefit the company. You work in an industry where part time is far from the norm, so you'll have to think outside the box: could you job share with another part time person? Are you willing to cover times that would be hard for others (i.e., coming in early to cover markets in other time zones, etc.?) I think it's not a good sign that the other woman was forced out of part time. Talk to her and see what the biggest...
I guess I feel like it's more invasive and personal to ask how you built your family than where you're from; I don't think that's contradictory. I ascribe neutral motives to the desire to know where people are from, but I can't see asking about adoption as anything but invasive. 
Love it! I grew up in rural Alaska, and I remember being allowed to bring your rifle to school up through jr high, as long as you told the principal you had it. Also, I rode around zipped into my dad's jacket on the 3-wheeler for at least 5 years- no helmet, no safety ANYTHING. And of course, bouncing around in the back of pickups was an everyday activity. We used to get giardia regularly too, we called it "beaver fever," from untreated stream water.
I feel like people think something negative is being implied when people wonder if they're from somewhere else, especially internationally. In reality, though, I think most people are just curious and not good at expressing it- it's not pejorative. We live in Hawaii but I speak Russian to my son, so I think it's natural that people wonder if we're from somewhere else and I don't mind if they ask. I DID get sort of irritated when someone asked if he was adopted, though....
I started putting my son in the rear bike seat (not trailer) when he was a year old, that was the youngest the toddler helmet was approved for. So if he's 8 months old, that's not long! I'd use a jogging stroller til then, then after that either a bike trailer for both or a bike seat for the baby and have your daughter ride her own. Her complaining would probably taper off when she got used to it. Half a mile is really not far, I even used to walk that with my son in his...
I agree, it pays to be vigilant in communicating your need for them to *always* speak the native language to your kids. I just interviewed a bunch of nannies to replace my beloved one who's moving away, and some of them spoke Russian, but could barely string together a sentence without throwing in English words. I was spoiled, because my previous nanny had a master's in Russian Literature from her university in Kazakhstan and spoke beautiful, rich Russian, and now I'm...
I think it sounds fine, but if you feel uncomfortable about asking your child's current teacher, what about last year's? The relationship seems relevant (s/he has seen you in an educational setting with children and can evaluate your skills) so asking for a letter of recommendation seems like a normal request. If you think they won't have time to do it, maybe offer to give them some bullet points of what you think the most important points to cover would be? (I have...
I was planning to leave my job at the end of my maternity leave, so starting it a bit early was not a big deal (it was a combo of STD/FMLA)- I talked to my midwife and explained the situation. Mainly, it was the end of the summer in Chicago, it was over 100F every day and I felt like I was going to pass out waiting for the bus to go to work. She took pity on me and wrote my note early, and I got to spend my last two weeks pregnant in front of the A/C! Can you have a...
The only advantage to Oahu (where I live) is that if you stay in Waikiki, you don't have to rent a car. If you go to Maui or Big Island, you will definitely need a rental car (and gas is $4.40+/gallon right now.) We have all the things you mentioned except a volcano- only Big Island has that! I suggest looking at VRBO for a house, it would be about the same as a hotel and the kitchen is a huge plus as others mentioned. Be prepared to pay a cleaning fee the cost of one...
First, I think you shouldn't worry: it's just a stage, you haven't permanently ruined his creative spirit, heh. Even if you do keep drawing for him, he'll eventually get sick of it and try doing more himself! Some ideas I had were: take turns- you draw a line, he draws one, emphasis on both of you trying rather than finished product; those bathtub crayons where you draw in the tub- easy to wash; I have a dry erase board and dry erase crayons which are GREAT for saving...