or Connect

Posts by Erin77

I was absolutely unhappy as a full time, stay at home mom, so I have no guilt about going back to work. It helps that my job is flexible and work from home, and my son has an awesome nanny- as another poster upthread said, he's thriving and that's proof it's ok. I think most people feel mommy guilt when they have to make choices that feel out of their control- like, they HAVE to work to pay the bills and have no other options, or they know a child care situation is not...
I appreciate the additional comments. Just to be clear, I definitely do have a relationship in Russian with him, as well as games, stories, books and music, and his nanny speaks only Russian with him. If I were his only source and I only spoke it sometimes, of course it wouldn't work. My question was about right NOW, when he's first saying numbers and letters. After his speech is more developed and I feel like he really knows his letters and numbers, I'm definitely all...
Ha, my Sept '10 son also takes forever to eat- it's not uncommon for him to start breakfast around 7:15 am and be done by 8:30 am- so I totally know what you're going through. I have no idea how to hurry it, I wait until he tells me he's done but yeah, I feel you!!
Thank you, Cynthia! That makes me feel better!
I have a 22 month old, and I like to think of tantrums as static on a television that's tuning in. Toddlers are still developing their neural pathways and coping with huge new emotions and self-direction- some weirdness is inevidable. Once I stopped thinking "I could have prevented this meltdown if I just did/said/acted the right way in time!" I stopped feeling bad about him melting down. Now, I just go with it and try to see what he needs- sometimes he needs me to be...
My son went on a nursing strike at four months old and he did not start nursing again for a month. We recovered from it and went on after that until he self-weaned at around 16 months. Things that helped: me pumping to keep up supply (obviously) and playing with him skin to skin. I got really desperate and would get super upset when I would offer and he would scream instead of nursing, and finally I just decided, maybe he's as stressed out as I am. So I would only try...
So my husband speaks only English, my babysitter speaks only Russian and I speak about 80% Russian/20% English to our almost two year old. I am shooting for OPOL (one parent one language) and doing exclusively Russian with him, but it's tough, as Russian is my second language. Lately my son has been picking up letters and number like CRAZY but only in English- he KNOWS all the numbers in Russian, if I ask him in Russian "Where's the four?" he will find it easily- but...
Well, we moved twice for my husband's PhD, once for the schooling and once for the fellowship (he had a post doc for his PhD in psychology.) I refused to move again for his externship, in his final year, and it caused huge problems- he didn't match with a program and had to go through a clearinghouse- it eventually worked out, but it's not something to be taken lightly. You'd be "lucky" in that you don't have to juggle the spouse's job needs, but it is TOUGH to move when...
We live in Hawaii, so we deal with this year round! I get the UV rashguards, you can get one pieces that cover the whole baby like this: http://www.sungrubbies.com/product_index_html/product_detail_html/Swimsuit-Baby-UV-Swimwear.htm Then you pop a hat on and you're pretty much done! They are kind of on the pricy side, but if you hike a lot and don't want to endlessly apply sunblock, they are totally worth it. 
We give our nanny all the paid holidays that my job gives, plus 5 days PTO- can be sick days or vacation depending on what she needs. We also provide all meals while she's working and paid for her CPR training.