or Connect

Posts by Erin77

I cut my son's nails while he's eating in his high chair. I kind of do a "piggies" thing where I go, "first little piggie goes snip! Snip! Snip!" and I cut his toenails. He can't really see what I'm doing below the tray, and then I move on to his hands and do them one at a time, like I move in and snip one really quick and make a delighted sound. I use blunt tip scissors, because I can't manoeuver the clippers that fast. He doesn't mind the toenails, but sometimes he...
I am Rh negative and my husband is Rh positive. Cord clamping was never mentioned to me as an issue for Rh sensitivity (which I'm assuming is what you're trying to avoid.) The placenta has two parts, the mother's side with her blood and the baby's side with his or her waste products- the mother's side develops from her uterine tissue and the baby's from the same sperm and egg union that made the fetus itself. So the placenta would have both blood types in it. However,...
We switched to straw cups for water when my son was a year and he would have a very occasional sippy cup of pumped milk at the sitter's- he didn't really like to drink milk from a cup. When he weaned at 16 months, we just didn't give him any cow's milk in cups, because he didn't drink it. My ped said that he got plenty of calcium from full-fat yogurt and green vegetables, etc. (My husband and I don't drink milk either.) Maybe you could try a break from milk for a week or...
My 18 month old is like this too. I try to do some kitchen stuff when he's eating in his high chair (like load/unload the dishwasher, because otherwise he's all up in it) and I also have some lower cabinets where I keep big pots and pans that he is allowed to play in. The rest are all baby-proofed with locks! Sometimes I'll ask him to take all the pots out of the cabinet and then give him some others to put back and that will keep him busy for five minutes or so, if I...
Yay! I'll pm you for details, and crosspost on the AP Mamas of Oahu FB if you'd like.
It really is great, I was a picky eater too, and I remember making every meal a power struggle. She doesn't say anything specifically about DINNER, but maybe if you're really worried about going to bed hungry, serve dinner at 4 pm and a snack at 6 pm (I assume your son goes to bed around 7 pm?) Then he has two opportunities before bed to eat. And remember, if there's a schedule in place where he has an option every two hours or so, he won't starve skipping a meal, even...
I totally recommend Satter's book "Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense." She says that it is the parent's responsibility to offer a variety of healthy foods at reasonable intervals and it is the child's responsibility to decide if and how much to eat. That's it. So plan for three meals and two snacks or so (about every two hours) and the problem of him not eating at one meal will be solved if he eats at the next; offer a variety of some things he likes and...
I agree, I think that "breastfeeding is natural, don't mess it up," is exactly the kind of advice this thread was started to AVOID. It really invalidates the experience of all of us mothers who had a hard time, despite being natural humans with human babies. My son seemed to be born knowing jack squat, for the record. 
When he lays down on the floor or the couch and just lays there for a minute! Any other time, he's scampering around like a hyperactive puppy.
I have an 18-month old and live in Kailua and I am very interested in a co-op type opportunity.