or Connect

Posts by ShanaV

Yeah, preterm labor is a major risk factor for multiples! Get it done early, or else you may be caught off guard! I just went to a Mothers of Multiples meeting last week and was talking with other new members / new moms, and they all delivered early. One as late as 37 weeks, most in the 34-36 week range, and me at 30. Personally, I'd done absolutely nothing to prepare for the babies before they came! But then I had 6 weeks of NICU time to get all the prep done... A...
Twin pregnancies are NOT like singleton pregnancies. Your body has to work SO much harder! The first chapter of the most helpful book I read (Juggling Twins -- not sure if I've linked this before) said the two most important things for a twin pregnancy are (1) REST A LOT, and (2) EAT A LOT. You WANT to do as little as possible so that all of your energy can go towards the babies. You WANT to gain as much weight as possible for the babies. IME I rested a lot -- slept...
With respect to preterm labor my doc said to call labor and delivery if contractions happened at 10 minute intervals, if there was any change in discharge, or any bleeding. The first time I called L&D I was having what I realized were contractions (it's my first pregnancy, so I wasn't sure exactly what I was feeling). I lied down for a half hour and felt them every 10 minutes for 30 minutes. Called L&D, they said to go in. I was put on IV fluids for dehydration and...
Thanks for the responses! Lol, HappyMommy, you and I think/write exactly alike. Yeah, I know that the shields aren't bad, per se, they're just a PITA to have to depend on. I have to dig them out, place them on, aim them into the babies' mouths, reposition them if the babies move, wash 'em off, etc etc. Plus, NIP will be much easier w/o having to worry about them too. So it's a long-run question, not so much an I have to fix this urgently question. I tried a...
Juggling Twins was really helpful for me. Filled with practical real world advice. Here's a link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/r...2?a=1402214057
My boys have been home for about 6 weeks so far and there's ALWAYS someone who wants the boob. Seriously, these kids never stop eating. Or if they're not eating, just for chillin. Personally I need to do a couple bottles of EBM per day so that they'll just eat and fall asleep, rather than constantly being on the boob. I also need to pump a couple times a day to drain the boobs anyway. But you're an experienced mom, so I'm sure you could exclusively nurse them, something...
Both boys are nursing shield-free! Anthony stopped almost four weeks ago. I took the advice to alternate using the shield, and after a day or so, he would spit out the shield and only want boob! This made life so much easier. Then just on Sunday Vincent suddenly stopped too! He didn't want any more shield at all. He got the boob the first time and never looked back. Yayyyyy!!!!! This makes my life a million times easier. Thank you all for your advice!
Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie Thanks for posting this! And holy crow, why were there 11 people at your delivery?!?!? Is that typical? I had a similar amount of people: 2 ob's - one catching and one guiding 2 nurses attending me 1 surgical nurse 1 anesthisiologist 1 neonatologist and 2 Nicu nurses per baby (6 ppl total) the hubs 13 in all, iirc.
The birth of my boys happened totally by surprise, and very early. In the week or 2 leading up to their birth I had been sick, in particular, with a GI virus that gave me awful poops for daaayyysss. This left me super dehydrated and made preterm contractions start. I went to the hospital at one point because of the early contractions and was put on an IV to rehydrate and given terbutaline for the contractions. I stayed for a few hours, then went home. I was told to just...
Hi ladies! Thought I'd introduce myself here because I just had twin boys (identical) in May. I'm loving every minute of it... Even those long nights when they have what I like to call OTBFA-LDCS: On The Boob Fall Asleep, Lie Down Cry Syndrome. My guys were born vaginally on the night of 5/21/10, very premature at 30w 5d. We spent 6 weeks in the NICU (42 days for one and 45 for the other) which were heartbreaking and frustrating. At birth Anthony was 3.2 and Vincent was...