or Connect

Posts by allmine

yes, it goes and comes. At 16 months to 20 months I thought I would pull my hair out daily. Then, she started getting easier for a couple of months and then it seems the last couple or three months have had us back in crazy mama land. I'm not really sure what causes things to feel so hard, but they sure do.
Thank you so much for understanding. Yes, my dd is VERY much like your dn. I have tried to set boundaries and she just doesn't heed them. For instance, I would literally  have to hold her down to keep her laying on a bed even when she is exhausted and needs to rest. I can't make her lay down even to watch something most days. She will not nap. Hardly ever has, in fact, even from newborn stage up. She still nurses and that is the ONLY relief I get some days. She will stop...
well, it is good to not be alone and have others understand. Gosh, we love these kids , but sometimes you just want to be able to shout out a good vent now and again.   She doesn't have much of an attention span for TV. Sometimes she will watch something, but not more than a tad a day. I hate to admit that I beg her to watch her fav stuff at times and she just won't. That when I pull out the box of beans or dishpan of water and sit next to her with my macbook. I feel...
She's my fifth, so this isn't new to me (wink) BUT I'm at 100% here folks and I am really wanting to vent.   She is into everything all the time. climbing, spilling, etc etc...yes, we have babyproofed the whole house, but STILL, it's HARD.   I feel sort of desperate. She doesn' tlike her highchair. she doesn't go in cribs. I'm dreaming and having visions of long car rides with her in her carseat right now!! it's that bad! she loves to play with dry beans and...
Quote: Originally Posted by jammomma allmine, I don't know if you are checking back with this post, but I wanted to make another book recommendation that I think really speaks to your concerns. I was trying to remember it before, but couldn't and had to ask a therapist friend of mine. It's called "Parenting from the Inside Out" by Daniel Siegal and Mary Hartzell. It's about helping parents understand the way they themselves were parented and how it...
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyllya Have you heard of some parents deliberately being hesitant with praise? It's related to this. Here's an article about it. Sometimes mental illness isn't caused by parents, but you might help counteract that in your kids by teaching them the signs of depression so they'll recognize it in themselves if they ever get it (and be on the lookout for them too). I love that article. VERY interesting. My parents...
Thanks, everyone. That's what I was looking for. I think I need to start with the book about unconditional parenting. My mother, bless her heart, is the queen of NONunconditional love. She is just following her own upbringing though, and I know that first hand as i spent the first 17 years of my life observing the way my grandmother treated her. Lots of things to think about.
To be honest, I would say that a lot of what plays in my head I can remember hearing in my childhood. Did i post in the wrong place with this? I wasn't really wanting to talk about depression/anxiety as much as parenting styles and how it affects a child's mental processes. Does that make sense? and, yes, I'm sure you are right that there is a genetic element. Positive there is!
I am becoming more and more aware of the fact that I have a negative, self-critical record that plays in my mind. Lots of noise in my head, and it's not pretty. I'm not wanting to blame my parents for everything from my shoe size to my health problems, but I *do* wonder if the way I was parented is to blame for this. I had 6 sibs, and I would say they all suffer from self esteem issues as well, as well as varying degrees of depression/anxiety and negative self talk. So, i...
Quote: Originally Posted by zinemama Last time I think it was around $45. Plus they found and xeroxed me a copy of the manual that originally came with it that had been lost ages ago! Be sure to find a place that knows Singers. for that amount I would gladly have it done! I need to call around here and find a place that works with singers, like you said. thing is, I wonder if it needs repairs too, because it is doing some weird things like...