or Connect

Posts by nilatti

Yeah, I'm mostly asking because my son was born a few hours past his due date, weighed 6 lbs, 15 oz, and was generally very healthy (a little jaundice, but not more than normal for a home-birth baby). I think my mw was just trying to head off growth issues, but I really felt like I was working very hard to get him to wake up and stay awake (undressing him, blowing in his face, etc.). Maybe he needed sleep more than food...
That Ernie thing sounds pretty good--we do something sort of like that, with his lovey. I say, "*You* don't have to come rock with me, but Shelley wants to." Giving him a project for the end of the bedtime routine might be good. Right now, I'm laying down with him until he falls asleep--but he doesn't always stay down, and it's a lot of, "I need you to lay down with me now," and kicking me in the face. Thus, the thought of using the sleep tent to confine him a bit. I...
With my first baby, my midwife strongly encouraged me to wake him every two hours to eat. My best friend did this with her first baby (who, like my son, is an awful sleeper), but with her second, she decided not to. He grew just fine, and is a champion sleeper. He's amazing.   I was just wondering what you did, if anyone had told you to do this, and whether you think it affected your baby's sleep habits. I'm expecting my second in the fall, and am thinking about...
So, my little guy had a pretty decent sleep routine going for a while there. Beginning at 6:30, it was dinner, potty, bath, book, rocking with music (until *almost* asleep), then snuggling in the bed. All done by 7:30 or 8. Well, recently, that last step has become kind of a disaster. When I go to lay down with him, he starts crawling all over me, throwing (and then tearfully demanding) his lovely, walking to the door and pounding on it, running around, giggling,...
Just to chime in with everyone else--I remember waking up the morning after my son was born, and looking around my room, completely amazed that it looked like NOTHING crazy had happened in there the night before.
what did you learn from your first set of twins that might make this time around a little easier?
Shoot, I keep plugging my etsy site. The mods are totally going to hate me.   Anyway, my son is almost 2, and I made him a "big brother" mei tai ( https://www.etsy.com/listing/101695340/big-brother-mei-tai ) so he can get used to some of the baby stuff. I got this idea when I was babysitting my friend's daughter, who was 2.5 and just about to have a baby brother. Her mom wanted her to spend some time with me and my then-three-month-old son, so she could experience...
Well, I like to point out that no one has contracted MRSA or flesh-eating bacteria at my house (both of which have happened to women delivering babies at my local hospital). I also state that I've done my research, and that my midwife has attended literally a thousand births. One thing that helped me feel confident was that I grew up in a community where everyone (except for one VERY premature boy) was born at home--about 50 kids, all healthy, including twins, breeches,...
I try to think about it by counting catches, not misses. If my son goes in the potty 2x/day (and really, he does waaaay better than that, even during not-so-good times...and now he's nearly a grad!), then I save washing OVER SEVEN HUNDRED DIAPERS A YEAR.   Yeah, do that math.  So that's how I keep from getting frustrated during times when there's suddenly lots of poo in diapers.   Oh, and also, it does always pass, and suddenly (usually when I'm just about to...
Shameless plug, but since you asked... I have an etsy shop!   www.etsy.com/shop/nilatti   I don't currently have any grownup mei tais listed, but I do make them (and I have my doll mei tai up there, and it is so cute.....). I also make diaper bags. I think I have one listed.   I love love love love to do custom work, because I know it's a guaranteed sale--my materials cost won't be wasted. So if you like the bag I have up, but wish it came in purple, just...