or Connect

Posts by nilatti

A while ago, somebody posted a link, which I can't find now, to a list of ways to get a baby to sleep. One item was about nursing to sleep: immediately after getting your nipple out of the baby's mouth, apply upward pressure on his chin, holding his mouth shut. This creates pressure on his jaw that mimics nursing and can keep him from feeling the sudden lack of boob.   So, I tried it...and it worked like a charm!   Now I want to know, what other little tricks do...
Thanks for the links everyone! Little guy will definitely get some wool leggings for next winter. I can't believe I forgot to check the Children's Place--I love their stuff!   I really appreciate the help. I was just getting SO FRUSTRATED trying to keep him warm enough. 
Ok, WHAT IS THE DEAL with no really warm clothes for babies?   I don't mean coats and going-outside-in-the-blizzard bunting things, just warmer-than-t-shirt things for around the house. My son has a couple of fleece sleepers, but I don't really like him wearing artificial fabrics all the time (and also, the sleepers are annoying for diaper changes, with the snaps up each leg). He has lots of onesies, but those are all t-shirt-weight jersey. He has some sweaters,...
Arrrrg. I'm in VA, had an INCREDIBLE HB in September 2010. And also, it's worth noting, if I had tried to go to the hospital, my baby would have been born in the car.   FWIW, CNMs in VA don't generally attend HBs. I think they technically could, but I've never heard of one who does. If you want a HB, you're looking at a CPM. One thing that Anthem will tell you is, "But look! There are other in-network midwives." It is a terrific pain to convince them that not all...
So, I haven't BTDT either, BUT I know someone (who did not EC) who solved that stage this way: She told her son that it was fine if he didn't want to use the potty, but now he had to clean up after himself when he had an accident. She made sure he knew where the dirty clothes went, how to hose himself off (they have a shower on a long hose thing) in the tub, how to re-dress himself...learning all this took a few days....   And after that, he had 3 accidents, and then...
In my community, there are several practicing CPMs, who deliver babies at home, as well as a group of CNMs at the hospital. A couple of years ago, the midwives--both hospital and homebirth--started getting together for quarterly breakfasts. They share knowledge, discuss difficult cases, celebrate their victories. Several of the HB CPMs practice as doulas for hospital births. They've managed to get involved at the hospital to the point that the OBs know them, and, with...
My son does that when he watches us eat. I think it's either teething related (because he has that going on too) or "Hey, I want to be like you guys. What is this jaw movement thing about?"
I fed my guy a breastmilk slushy the other day, and it really seemed to help!
Silas has 0 interest in rolling over. My step-mom is convinced that he'll be developmentally delayed, but Dr. Sears lists this as something to expect "between 3 and 8 months old."
So, my little guy is nearly 5 months old now. I've been exclusively breastfeeding, including pumping once/day at work (I work from home in the afternoons, but have to spend the mornings at the office). I've noticed that I'm having occasional supply dips--times when I can only pump 2 oz. in a session (normally I get 5 or 6). I read Taking Charge of Your Fertility recently (hoping to start charting whenever either my period returns or my baby lets me sleep 3 consecutive...