or Connect

Posts by nilatti

It seems like, with a couple of exceptions, our babies are on the big side (regardless of birth weight). I've heard that AP = baby cries less = more calories to grow on, but has there been any large-scale controlled study on this? Based on our sample, I'd say it's true, but we're not a big group.
  Silas is babbling and LAUGHING. He is starting to understand the point of toys, and finally has the motor skills to enjoy them. He's teething hard--cutting all four front teeth at once. So that's been tough...We joke about starting him on solid foods earlier than we had planned, because he's constantly nomming on a carrot or cucumber slice (not eating, just something cool on his gums). EC is still going well. He really will *not* poop in his diaper, but will...
I grew  up in a community where HB was the norm, and I always knew this was what I wanted. Henci Goer's book convinced my husband. There's that study from all of North America (or was it just US & Canada? don't remember) that showed that, for low-risk women, HB is as safe and has a much lower intervention rate. The other one is the fact that in Norway, where HB is normal, 30% of babies are born that way...the same % are born by C-section in the US! My local...
Katie, no, I'm not opposed to nursing to sleep, but I *do* want my DH or other caregivers to be able to get him to sleep. Also, nursing doesn't always work!   Kiwi, thanks--that answers my question. I just felt like the books must be leaving something out.
So, this is slightly unrelated...but, here we go. On iron-fortified cereals:   When I was a kid, I did a science experiment at school, which you could easily replicate with your own children (not babies, of course, but 4+). We took Special K (I think any iron-fortified cereal would work) and put it in a blender with a lot of water. We pureed it into a slurry, then poured it out in a cookie sheet. When we ran a magnet through it, iron filings collected on the...
I tell my friends who have infants, OR no kids, OR older kids.   I DO NOT tell my friends who are struggling with pottytraining their 2-year-olds. And I especially don't tell them that my DH believes our son will be a grad by 18 mos.
I've been trying to get my almost-4-month-old baby to sleep on a bit more of a schedule (basically codifying his general tendencies and making them daily practices). I'd like for him to go to bed before me (!) for example, so my husband and I can have a little grown-up time. I also think he definitely needs one more nap than he's getting--he is such a GRUMP in the late afternoon/early evening.   All the "sleep training" books I've read (and I should note here that I...
I just think you're awesome for asking! I, luckily, didn't have to transfer, but if I had, I would have loved to have a nurse who even bothered to think about this question.  :)
Oh, wow, could you? That would be incredibly helpful! I don't want to talk with the same person again, but I probably could just get someone different at random, and being able to say, "Here's this other person to whom you said YES" would be great. I'll PM you with my address and such.  Thank you Thank you. Thank you.
Mine was on the bedroom floor. I had planned to be in my bed, but my labor was so fast, I couldn't go anywhere! One warning--my MW put big absorbent pads under me, and I have a hardwood floor in my bedroom..and the pads kept sliding on the floor. I felt like I was going to fall spread-eagled on my face. So...think about the SURFACES whereever you decide to birth. For my next one, I'm going to make sure that either I get to my bed, or someone puts a yoga sticky mat under...