or Connect

Posts by nilatti

In case you couldn't tell from my subject line, this is a rant. I live in Virginia, and I have Anthem BC/BS. In my area, CNMs do not deliver babies at home. I had my baby in September, at home, with a CPM. I tried to apply for a gap exception (because there are no in-network CPMs or anyone who attends home births) months before the baby was born, and this paperwork mysteriously disappeared. They ended up paying my CPM as an "out of network provider," which, after...
We used to think we wanted four...now that we have one, we're thinking two. :) But it's because we love him so much--we want to be able to give him as much attention as we now understand he needs. 
There were a few threads on here about how to communicate to your baby's grandparents that you don't want lots of plastic crap that lights up and plays "Mary Had a Little Lamb." Lots of people seemed concerned about this.   So, I want to know:  1) What did you end up telling your family or doing about this issue in advance? 2) How did it go? 3) What will you do about toys that are outside of the realm of ... "approved"?   Here are my answers: 1) I sent...
My little guy--and my friends daughter--started doing this at exactly that age. We noticed that they suddenly needed to be helped to sleep, rather than just conking out any old way. My son throws a big fit when I wait too long to try rocking him down. It's funny, b/c sometimes he falls asleep midscream! He's normally a super cheerful little guy, so I had many of the same feelings you are describing. If my friend hadn't been going through it with her dd (10 days older...
My baby does this cute thing--I'm sure all your babies do too, after about 10 weeks--where he'll interact by smiling, sticking his tongue out, blowing raspberries, etc. He does this to me, to my husband, to my dad, and to his godmother. We don't get this all the time, but at least once per day, maybe for 20 minutes or so. It's so great--and it makes all the crazy late nights getting spit-up on worth it!   But, for the past few weeks, he's also been doing this while...
  So, here's your problem. Not your problem. Society's problem. We're all poorly educated about statistics and the scientific method, and then our bipolar media have conditioned us to think that there are always two equally valid sides to every argument. Now, if, for example, The Thinking Woman's Guide had cherry-picked the studies it reviews, only including pro-HB ones, that would be one thing. But Goer is a science journalist, and she looked at practically every study...
I've heard that some people have used EC to figure out a baby's food sensitivities. How do you do that? I'm suspecting my little guy might have issues with soy. We've been doing EC since he was 4 weeks old. Now at 13 weeks, we're suddenly having LOTS of pee misses + fussiness + poorer sleep than previously. The only thing in my diet that has changed has been the introduction of soy nog, a holiday favorite. I don't typically drink soy milk, and got really turned off by...
:) My little guy is 3 months old. My husband said to me, as I was nursing our son for the first time, "So, when do we get to do this again?" ...I hit him. I did.    But now...Oh gosh, I look at him and just think how I can hardly wait to give him a little sibling! We'd like them to be 18 months to 2 years apart. My husband and his sister have that spacing, and I was always jealous of them when we were teenagers, because they were best friends. My brother is 3 years...
I don't have anything to offer but commiseration--I was just coming on here, about to post the SAME QUESTION. My little guy used to sleep ok without us, but the past several weeks, if I leave him in our bed, even if he seems really limp asleep, he wakes up within 30 minutes.   The only exception is his nap, which he takes in his swing in the living room--I often can get 2-3 hours of good sleep for him that way. I'm thinking about maybe having him do the early part of...
My little guy (almost 3 months) won't take a bottle from anyone but me. This is really not helpful as I'm supposed to be going back to work 1/2 days, starting next week! We've been trying since he was about 5 weeks old...he doesn't mind it from me (though he doesn't like it as much as he likes the boob), but from anyone else, he takes a few gulps and then freaks out.   I've tried lots of things, like starting the bottle myself and then handing bottle and baby to DH...