or Connect

Posts by nilatti

I'm a bit reluctant to write this, because you say that preserving the relationship is important to you, but your update reminds me, quite powerfully, of something that happened to me as a child.   When I was 2 or 3, I went with my mother to visit C, a (then-childless) friend of hers. C had a basket of little toys and objects for me to play with. One of them was a seashell. When we got home, my mom discovered that I had taken the shell home with me. I honestly don't...
Could he maybe plan to leave the house once things get rolling? Maybe if you made it clear that you don't expect him to participate...I mean, what it sounds like you're saying is he wants you to leave your house and go to the hospital so he won't be near the actual birthing. Maybe *he* could leave instead. Could you plan for him to spend a night at a B&B or take your other kids somewhere?
I really think that some kids are just great sleepers and others are not. In my family, DS was awful (never slept more than 2 hours at a stretch until I night-weaned him at 15 months), and DD is...so far...an awesome sleeper. I haven't done anything different with her, she's just been this way since day 1.   I am glad that I decided to nightwean DS when I did, but would not have done it before he was a year old. I used the Dr. Jay Gordon method (just google it,...
Some PPs mentioned saying, "You have to go to your room for an hour, but you don't have to sleep," and that is the thing that has Changed My Life.   Here's how we did it. I'm writing this because I feel like people make it sound like they just put their kid in there and shut the door and they magically sleep. That would never work for my kid.   I bought the Winnie the Pooh audio books by Peter Dennis for his 2nd birthday, and put them on an old ipod.   I took...
Ina May's newest book, Birth Matters, is quite good and came out fairly recently.
Henci Goer's The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth has lots of science and studies. I highly recommend it.
I went back to work when my son was 4 months old. My husband and I were able to work from home a lot, but we still had DS in daycare two half-days each week. I was totally conflicted about it, but it ended up being fine. It was a home daycare, and the provider had been caring for children for 20 years. His days there were very different from at home, but he adapted. He even napped for her, for a couple of hours at a time, but never more than 45 mins for me! She said that...
Thanks for your input everyone. As I said, I kept out of it, but was having a moment of "what if" and second-guessing my decision.   Oliversmommy, I am cringing reading about your birth injury. I hope you heal fully and soon!
Sorry, I should have been clearer--not Monday morning quarterbacking, but saying something beforehand. In this case, maybe I could have replied to my friend (three days before the induction) with the statistic bout first pregnancies, on average, being 41 weeks, 3 days, and inductions being risky for interventions.   Of course, after the fact, "Congratulations" is the only thing one should say.
So, this is something that I experience a couple times each year, and I never know what to do...   I should start by saying that I had both of my babies at home, with a midwife, and in the process became really well-educated on the subject. Whenever I hear some one saying something that I know is against evidence, but is recommended by the dr, I don't know how far to go.   Here is an example. My friend's daughter (whom I barely know) was past due with her first...