or Connect

Posts by heatherr30

Hi everyone I am here to seek some advice.  I got a concussion 1 week ago, now out of the hospital but my bed rest is coming to an end since DH has to go back to work on Monday. Monday a friend can help out but on Tuesday I am all on my own with the kids for 12 hours. I am still experiencing some symptoms but nothing major.  I can get up and prepare a meal or do a short task but after an hour I feel woozy and want to go back to bed.  I am also overwhelmed by the...
Hi Aradia You shouldn't feel hungry on a vegan diet. (although during pregnancy could be a different story!)  I would make sure you and the kids are getting enough fat and protein.  Peanut butter could be a cheap, healthy source of more calories which you could eat every day. Figure out how much you are spending on DH's chicken and spend the same amount of money on yourself per day on high-calorie vegan food such as nuts, avocado, nut butters etc.   Pay special...
So, I've been vegan for a few months now but I'm having trouble with shoe shopping. It seems the only alternatives to leather, are plastic-y type shoes. But, I'm worried that the prodution of synthetic shoes might be causing environmental problems, and therefore harming animals and people. Before telling me to get a life(!) , can someone please tell me, what is the kindest and most environmenally friendly solution when it comes to footwear? 
  I heard that cholesterol levels do vary from day to day but I don't know if that has to do with yesterday's meal plan or the test is not totally accurate.. or something else altogether... and I have no idea how much the level could vary.  That's why I asked if the dr had mentioned the change in numbers was significant or if it was something that you had noticed yourself.    As for balancing fats... if you are concerned about DHA he could get a test at the dr office to...
What has really helped me lately has been writing a weekly menu. I flip through cook books or previous weeks menus on Friday to get some ideas.  Then DH goes shopping on the weekend and gets all the groceries so I don't have to worry about meal planning with random ingredients during the week. I have no energy left to think about what's for dinner by late afternoon, so it really helps having a plan to remind me what to cook. I try to stick to recipes that take 30 min...
I thought that saturated fats were the baddies, and polyunsaturates the best ones we could eat? Thus nuts are so healthy, because they contain polyunsaturated fats. I also follow the general recommendation (for vegans) which as I understand it is to take a tablespoon of ground flax seed per day and use canola or olive oil rather than sunflower oil or corn oil. (also watching out for processed foods which can contain a lot of sunflower or corn oil). Or, better yet,...
Just wondering what are your thoughts on this?  My 2 year old will start at the kindergarten when he turns 3 and I am trying to decide whether he would benefit more from coming home at lunch time, or staying till early afternoon. (so 4 hours vs 7 hours)   I really don't want to give him up full days yet.. but worried I will be holding him back if I don't send him full days.  I am a childminder and take care of kids under 3 at home... when he turns 3 he will start at...
When my DS sees the chocolate eggs, he will be screaming for the rest of the shopping trip unless he gets one. Of course, the people who put the chocolate display, right where the kids can see and reach it--knows very well that parents will give in and buy it just to shut their children up.  They also put a toy display by the meat fridge... gum and candy by the check out.. how can anyone go shopping with a toddler without the toddler screaming? So I say no to the...
I'm vegan, mom of 2 small kids who are both picky in different ways (DS likes soupy textures and DD likes foods plain), and married to a non-vegan. The first step is agreeing on the main points of the menu so there is no argument when the food comes to the table.  We have meat or eggs on Tuesdays and fish on Fridays.  The other days are vegan with the option of adding some parmesan cheese or whatever else can quickly be pulled from the fridge.  If DH wants meat on...
I have had NO success with commercial cheese substitutes but then I can't buy Daiya where I live.  They taste slightly similar to cheese, just enough so to make me miss the real thing. I use whole cashews, avocado slices, coconut milk, and soy yoghurt or puddings to keep my family from missing dairy. I have found, the more complicated the recipe, the more potential to disappoint, so I would recommend starting out by using these foods whole if possible before looking...