or Connect

Posts by heatherr30

My DS didn't signal at all for pees at that age.  As I kept up EC he gradually started fussing sometimes during the pee sometimes before the pee in time for me to get him over the potty. Now at 3 months I sometimes notice him squirming and fussing.  Some days it is like we are on the same wavelength and I make several catches in a row.  Other days I don't have a clue and we go thru like 12 diapers.  But it's still worth doing.  His bladder is bigger now and sometimes...
I think it's irrelevant whether it's a catch or not---you're learning his patterns and this helped confirm them to you.  :)  Sometimes the most useful opportunities to me, are the ones I miss...   But yeah, for the record, I think you can call this a catch.  When I nurse diaper-less, I make sure to have DS's basin right next to my feet to avoid trailing poo through the house as I run for the toilet!
  My DS does that too!  So after a failed attempt, I always take him again in a couple of minutes! ;)    My DS is only 3 months old so I just throw a muslin diaper over his groin and let him kick his little legs diaper free to his hearts content.  I always "anchor" the diaper under his bum and around his waist so he won't kick it off.  Tummy time--the diaper goes under him to protect the mat (which I don't want to change every 15 min hehe) When DD was mobile and had bad...
A wide basin works well, I can sit DSs bottom deep enough that the pee doesn't go over the top. On the toilet I use a finger to aim downwards, DS doesn't seem to mind.  The pee often splashes a bit anyway, I just wipe it up when we're done. With the travel potty (which has a plastic bag liner) I slip a piece of cardboard under the plastic to make a super tall pee guard.  The sink is ok cause it's easy to wipe down afterwards if the pee splashes a bit.  I think the...
I wanted to get started right away after my DS was born, but I also needed to recover from the delivery, and figure out a way to get some sleep. (DS was not a good sleeper in the first couple of weeks!) Add to that the fact that it was Jan and very cold, not very nice for a newborn baby to go without pants on esp while sleeping and I never knew when he might go to sleep. So actually it took a couple of weeks to really get started.  I read about people who catch the...
Oh Yeah I also wanted to say that I think truly diaperless cultures live in places that are warm, where not a lot of clothing is needed on baby.  they do not have cushy couches and carpets to keep clean.  They do not travel in cars and go shopping in extremely hygienic supermarkets.  If they get peed on it is not a big deal.  I think that's why most Westerners who do EC, do use diapers all or part of the time. You can use a CD without the cover to get instant feedback on...
I am ECing my 2nd child who is 3 months old and I love it!  Poops were easy for us and I've been catching most of the poops since 2-3 weeks old. However his diaper gets a bit poopy when he farts.  For this reason alone I would not consider having him diaper free all the time!  Pees have not been so easy--he seems to be constantly peeing and usually without any warning or clear pattern. He did not signal for pees as a newborn but now sometimes does. Even so he is...
Well my DS is a lot younger than yours, but I agree with prioritizing sleep.  I use 1 diaper for night time with a wool cover (without changing it unless it's soaked or poopy).  DS doesn't indicate that he minds.  I also sometimes miss the morning pee or poop because i am not sure if he's ready to wake up yet and I don't want to annoy him by getting him up when he's still tired or desperate to nurse. (these may not be issues at your DDs age) I would not go for...
I have the same problem!  I lay baby on the floor to get him dressed and undressed.  I look for a private place (ie no one can see me laying baby on the floor because I know nosy people here would say it was too cold to lay a 3 mo old on the floor).  I carry a fold up changing mat with me and plastic bags or travel potty (in case there is no toilet or sink in the changing area).  There are places I avoid (sadly, this includes one of the public libraries) because there is...
you can keep asking her if she needs to go! She may be too distracted to realize because of being excited to be somewhere different.